Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914/15 Medal

Kwc27122

Hello everyone!

I just received in the mail my first 1914/15 medal. Can anyone here please tell me about the fellow it was awarded to ?  I really do appreciate all the time and effort to do this, this forum is a great place with great people. I’ve learned a lot just perusing the threads.

Kevin

IMG_0129.jpeg

IMG_0128.jpeg

You can download (free) his RN record from TNA here   -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7119717

Interestingly , the Admiralty Medal Roll shows that his 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal trio were issued to him while serving in HMS VICTORY (Portsmouth) and marked in the rating of Chief Stoker (Ch Sto) whereas your Star is in the rating of Stoker Petty Officer (SPO).

MARSHALL - image.png.5a9e39f8f469fa63a2dd83457695cb2b.png

Edited by horatio2

@horatio2  I expect you will find (on his ADM 188) that Marshall would have been a SPO when he first qualifed for the star, as it was named to the rank/rate he was when his ship first entered the qualifying theatre. He was likely promoted to Ch Sto later, the War & Victory medals being awarded to highest rank attained whilst serving in a theatre of war.

Hope you are enjoying summer in UK!!  Beautiful here in our part of Canada now, we finally have summer!

Wow, that’s pretty awesome. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the Victory in that time a training base or some such?

In both World Wars HMS VICTORY embraced numerous functions including flag ship of C-in-C Portsmouth, the Portsmouth Royal Naval Barracks, Portsmouth Naval Base, training schools for various branches as well as several out-stations. It was an administrative centre and pay office for all of these functions as well as for numerous small ships for whom VICTORY was the parent ship. VICTORY was divided into sub-units, some of them remote from Portsmouth, by adding a Roman numeral  e.g. VICTORY II, VICTORY VI, VICTORY IX, VICTORY XI.

Edited by horatio2

He was serving aboard HMS Topaze 5/5/1914 to 17/3/1916. HMS Topaze was first stationed with the Channel Fleet and rescued 43 sailors from HMS Formidable when she was sunk by U24 1/1/1915. HMS Topaze was then transferred to the Mediterranean Fleet and worked with the Italians in the Adriatic.

That’s Great! 
Thank you everyone!

I’m beginning to get a decent start on my WW1 medal collection.

All you need to do now is find Albert Marshall's B.W.M and Victory medal and reunite them with the star 

Yeah, that would be great, but I don’t think it will happen.

1 hour ago, RaySearching said:

All you need to do now is find Albert Marshall's B.W.M and Victory medal and reunite them with the star 

53 minutes ago, Kwc27122 said:

Yeah, that would be great, but I don’t think it will happen.

Never say never! The BWM may be the harder of the two though - as being made of silver it may have since been smelted! 

I am not exactly sure as how to do it [other members do know] but I believe it is possible to put out requests for 'alerts' on Ancestry, e-bay and on auction houses etc.

You could also try the British Medal Forum https://britishmedalforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9651

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

Reunites have happened - it is possible!  I have had in over 55 yrs medal collecting had approx 15 re-unites.  But you have to watch the various sites (including social media sites), ebay, auction sites, UK medal dealers/vendors, etc.   As @Matlock1418 has indicated, the silver British War medal may not have survived the "silver craze" of 1980-81, but his Victory medal should be "out there " somewhere.    Deffo get onto the British Medal Forum, you have to register first then when approved (it takes a while),  put in an advert in the Seeking Family Medals section, You may well get lucky, there are many many RN medal collectors & you never know if his pair might be in one of their collections.  In any event it gets the word out you are searching for them.