Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information about the bombing of No. 58 (Scottish) General Hospital, St Omer 1 October 1917

Pamfen

My grandmother's aunt, Annie Weir was a VAD nurse who was awarded the military medal "for courage and devotion to duty on 1st October 2017 when the hospital in which she was engaged in France was bombed". She was from Motherwell, South Lanarkshire so I think this must have been the No.58 (Scottish) General Hospital at St Omer which was bombed that night and I've seen some mentions in other posts about some of the nurses receiving the military medal afterwards. Does anyone know of any sources which might record more of the events of that night? I have seen a couple of articles from the local papers in Motherwell and have a copy of her medal card but haven't found much about what actually happened.

Annie died at the age of 101 in 1993 but by the time I knew her, her memory had mostly gone. There wasn't much discussion in the family about her experiences beyond the fact that it had been very traumatic and affected her all her life. My daughter is visiting St Omer soon on a school trip which made me realise that I really must try to find out more about Annie's experiences.

Edited by Pamfen
incorrect date

15 minutes ago, Pamfen said:

My grandmother's aunt, Annie Weir was a VAD nurse who was awarded the military medal "for courage and devotion to duty on 1st October 2017 when the hospital in which she was engaged in France was bombed". She was from Motherwell, South Lanarkshire so I think this must have been the No.58 (Scottish) General Hospital at St Omer which was bombed that night and I've seen some mentions in other posts about some of the nurses receiving the military medal afterwards. Does anyone know of any sources which might record more of the events of that night? I have seen a couple of articles from the local papers in Motherwell and have a copy of her medal card but haven't found much about what actually happened.

Annie died at the age of 101 in 1993 but by the time I knew her, her memory had mostly gone. There wasn't much discussion in the family about her experiences beyond the fact that it had been very traumatic and affected her all her life. My daughter is visiting St Omer soon on a school trip which made me realise that I really must try to find out more about Annie's experiences.

Just checked the medal card which confirms that it was the no. 58 Gen Hosp.

The parent site (Long, Long Trail) has a description of the bombing.

Deadly air raids on Saint-Omer in September 1917 - The Long, Long Trail (longlongtrail.co.uk)

Tom.

P.S. I take it you meant 1917. If so, change the heading in your original post.

• Pamfen changed the title to Looking for information about the bombing of No. 58 (Scottish) General Hospital, St Omer 1 October 1917

See also:

2 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

See also:

Thank you, I think the manager in the first post is my Aunt Doreen! That thread was really helpful. It would be great to find out more about the hospital as well.

This is from the German NB on which units bombed St Omar

2/3 Sep 17 KG 4 St Omer

3/4 Sep 17 KG 4 Calais KG 4 CO Hpt Hempel and 2 other crew shot down and captured by AA fire

4/5 Sep 17 KG 4 bombs Calais

night 5 Sep 17 KG 4 St Omer

29/30 Sep 17 ?

1 Oct 17 KG 1 St Omer

12 hours ago, James A Pratt III said:

This is from the German NB on which units bombed St Omar

2/3 Sep 17 KG 4 St Omer

3/4 Sep 17 KG 4 Calais KG 4 CO Hpt Hempel and 2 other crew shot down and captured by AA fire

4/5 Sep 17 KG 4 bombs Calais

night 5 Sep 17 KG 4 St Omer

29/30 Sep 17 ?

1 Oct 17 KG 1 St Omer

Thank you!

CGAS has Hempel observer as Obltn Herbert Knigge the third crewman's name is unknown. It might be only 2 men were in the plane