Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas John 50139

Totofo

Could someone please give some information on Thomas John (unsure of rank) no 50139

He was in the 23rd Welsh Regt and at one point at Perbright Camp near Woking Surrey.

This is all the info I have I am afraid.

many thanks in advance. 

Pte. Thomas JOHN, 50139, Welsh Regiment

Has a MIC for a BWM & VM so rather looks like he didn't go to a ToW until after 31/12/1915

There is likely to be a Medal Roll for this card - may perhaps offer a bit more.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

13 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

There is likely to be a Medal Roll for this card

Hi Totofo.

There is a Victory Medal and British War Medal Roll for Thomas which records service in the 23rd Battalion, Welsh Regiment.

Looking at the following near numbers may give an indication as to when Thomas enlisted.

50134 - 21/02/16 - 22nd (Reserve) Battalion

50135 - 21/03/16 - 23rd (Service0 Battalion

50138 - 18/03/16 - 2nd Battalion

Gunner 87

The attached relates to the deployment and organisation of the 23rd (Service) Battalion, (Welsh Pioneers) to which Thomas served throughout. 

6DD97C8E-0869-4F57-9F8D-8AAA1A2197B0.jpeg

Many thanks for the info it’s much appreciated.

I take it that it maybe any records directly relating to his whereabouts means they may have been destroyed in the bombing of the archives during ww2?

4 minutes ago, Totofo said:

Many thanks for the info it’s much appreciated.

I take it that it maybe any records directly relating to his whereabouts means they may have been destroyed in the bombing of the archives during ww2?

60% of the service papers were destroyed in 1940 so it could well be that case that Thomas' were among those destroyed. It could also be possible he carried on serving after the war and s such his papers would still be with the MoD. If this is the case they can be applied for. You could make an enquiry by emailing APC-Sp-Disclosures4@mod.gov.uk to see if the records are held.