Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge identification

Hollands

Good morning,

Thank you for letting me join the group.

i am having great difficulty identifying the regiment of the gentleman in the two photos. It looks as though someone has enhanced the pictures so the cap badge isn’t very clear, I believe the Regiment could be The York’s & Lancs Regiment. If someone could assist me identifying the Regiment I will very grateful.

keith

CAC7F557-6BA3-40C1-992A-D547259304B0.jpeg

FFF29843-4CF2-4C65-B705-758BFA938FC4.jpeg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. The image is very distorted, but I think South Lancashire Regiment. 

To confirm what Michelle wrote, the image is badly distorted. Has it gone through some image smoothing software?

Can you post an unprocessed scan of the original image?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

10 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. The image is very distorted, but I think South Lancashire Regiment. 

Oh I did not think of the South Lancashire Regiment.  I do know the chap was born in Liverpool 

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr,

I am afraid it is a photo which has been copied so many times.  I am trying to identify the Regiment for someone else and no one has an original.

It is such a pity

keith 

3 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

Welcome to the forum.

Is there a name for the soldier concerned?

George Paul Bramwell - DOB 5 Feb 1899 Liverpool Died 2 Feb 1971 Liverpool. He initially lied on enlistment to RFA (K) enlisted 18 Mar 1915 discharged Sep 1915 reason the authorities realised he was only 16.  Then obviously re-enlisted.

Michelle is bang on the money I think, with a good spot of a badge whose image has been distorted by light reflection, but whose key features are apparent nonetheless.  The Prince of Wales’s Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment).

IMG_7940.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

I haven't found any records for the man other than those you already have access to. Might he have stayed in the army post 1920? If so his records may be still with MOD.

6 minutes ago, Hollands said:

Thanks FROGSMILE 

Glad to help, Michelle has a really good eye for badges.

He has a good conduct badge (inverted stripe) on his left cuff indicating 2-years full time service without any disciplinary blemish.  There’s also a rather intriguing looking medal ribbon on his left breast (possibly more than one).  The photo has the look of a celebratory, survivor’s photo, taken after the Armistice.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

I haven't found any records for the man other than those you already have access to. Might he have stayed in the army post 1920? If so his records may be still with MOD.

Thanks David much appreciated 

• Admin

There are a number of othe Bramwells to be found who served in SLR, might the photo be of one of them, another relative?

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Glad to help, Michelle has a really good eye for badges.

He has a good conduct badge (inverted stripe) on his left cuff indicating 2-years full time service without any disciplinary blemish.  There’s also a rather intriguing looking medal ribbon on his left breast (possibly more than one).  The photo has the look of a celebratory, survivor’s photo, taken after the Armistice.

FROGSMILE I think you could be right in regards to when the picture may have been taken. Yes I noticed the medals and I do believe WW1 medals were issued @1920? I am not sure if it is a photo distortion his hands fingers look damaged ? 

2 minutes ago, DavidOwen said:

There are a number of othe Bramwells to be found who served in SLR, might the photo be of one of them, another relative?

Interesting David I will try and check things out 

22 minutes ago, Hollands said:

FROGSMILE I think you could be right in regards to when the picture may have been taken. Yes I noticed the medals and I do believe WW1 medals were issued @1920? I am not sure if it is a photo distortion his hands fingers look damaged ? 

The ribbon of the first medals (both types of star) was seen as early as 1918, if I recall correctly, but yes, the War Medal and the Victory Medal subsequent to the war.

I don’t think his hands are damaged, but he is sat very stiffly with fingers clawed rather than relaxed.  I imagine that the photographer had emphasised he must sit still because of the relatively long exposure time still common at the time, and it’s led to a slightly unnatural looking posture.

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The ribbon of the first medals (both types of star) was seen as early as 1918, if I recall correctly, but yes, the War Medal and the Victory Medal subsequent to the war.

I don’t think his hands are damaged, but he is sat very stiffly with fingers clawed rather than relaxed.  I imagine that the photographer had emphasised he must sit still because of the relatively long exposure time still common at the time, and it’s led to a slightly unnatural looking posture.

Thanks for the update .. posting on this site has already helped in building a picture of the time he had the picture taken.  I will contact the Regimental museum to see if George served in one of the battalion’s.

13 minutes ago, Hollands said:

Thanks for the update .. posting on this site has already helped in building a picture of the time he had the picture taken.  I will contact the Regimental museum to see if George served in one of the battalion’s.

There’s no doubt about his regiment at the time of the photo, and depending upon how long he served altogether, it’s possible that he served with other regiments too.  It was more common than not, especially for the many who were wounded or sick enough to be hospitalised during the course of the war, but then returned to duty subsequently.  However, there don’t appear to be any wound stripes apparent. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

35 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

There’s no doubt about his regiment at the time of the photo, and depending upon how long he served altogether, it’s possible that he served with other regiments too.  It was more common than not, especially for the many who were wounded or sick enough to be hospitalised during the course of the war, but then returned to duty subsequently.  However, there don’t appear to be any wound stripes apparent. 

That is so true, some servicemen filled the gaps in other Regiments ..I could not see any wound stripes I also checked the silver war badge and he isn’t listed.

Not adding much, I found a fuzzy but untouched photo on Ancestry. The good conduct stripe is really clear but there may not be a medal ribbon?

He married Lena Barnes in Q1 1918. The photo may have been taken before or after the marriage.  No sign of a MIC on Ancestry or NA though, perhaps he didn't go overseas?

BillyH.

gwf1.jpg.0ef3505be9c33abc0aee537db8d6841f.jpg

gwf2.jpg.a6adff7f5206773587dc717a3db84d59.jpg

Excellent BillyH,

This photo shows the importance of primary sources with regard to photographs.

The 'original image' also shows a curved shoulder title, a clear GC stripe, a clear  cap badge and healthy hands.

And IMHO, a young man.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

A much less adulterated image, but this time substantially distorted, with the heads of both figures completely out of proportion to their hands and forearms.

I agree that the presence of any medal ribbon is much more debatable and it could just be a fold in the cloth above his pocket.

Edited by FROGSMILE