Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

National League of Airman ?

thedawnpatrol

i have a photo album with some nice RFC pictures, but sadly none are captioned, the only clue i have to the owner of the album is this membership card pasted in....which looks like J. Andrew..........but, i wondering if there is a list somewhere of members of the NAL  ? 

thank you

Julian.

J Andrews.jpg

J Andrews 2.jpg

The National League of Airmen was created in 1935 by Lord Rothermere, Britain's first Secretary of State for Air.

And looks to me like the man in the photo wouldn’t be out of place attending one of Mr Mosley’s gatherings.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

2 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

And looks to me like the man in the photo wouldn’t be out of place attending one of Mr Mosley’s gatherings.

I suspect given the history of the National League of Airmen and the backgrounds of its sponsors, there would be no surprises there.

He was obviously less robust than he appears in the photo - having joined the RNAS (from the infantry) and attended flight school at Eastchurch in the summer of 1916, he was diagnosed as having Neurasthenia (often referred to as chronic fatigue syndrome today) and was subsequently recommended for ground duties.

MB

7 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

He was obviously less robust than he appears in the photo - having joined the RNAS (from the infantry) and attended flight school at Eastchurch in the summer of 1916, he was diagnosed as having Neurasthenia (often referred to as chronic fatigue syndrome today) and was subsequently recommended for ground duties.

MB

That's interesting MB, where have you found this information ? its all a bit confusing, i'm not sure he was ex RNAS ? if so why is he wearing an RFC tunic ? 

the issue is, i have a set of three medals as mentioned in my other post, i was trying to match the medals to this man.........both J Andrews ......

the problem is i inherited a vast amount of items that were 'jumbled' up, so although they came from the same source, its a common name.

thank you for your help

It gets confusing when you have two threads open on the same person, @horatio2 has already provided you with the link to his ADM & RAF ledger sheets (on the other thread).

The reference to his Neurasthenia diagnosis is from his RNAS record.

Edit - Where is the photo of him wearing a RFC tunic, you’ve only posted an image of (what looks like) a Blackshirt sitting in an armchair?

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

He is wearing an RFC Maternity Tunic, ( no wings)  with Sam Browne, his 'pips' can be seen on the shoulder boards ..............though i can see what you mean........

the RNAS did not wear that type of tunic.

best

Julian.

His RNAS ledger sheet refers to previous service in HM Forces and specifically mentions him having been a Private in the 24th Battalion of the London Regiment, therefore little doubt it’s the right man.

But glad to hear that navy flyers weren’t issued with Maternity clothing! :rolleyes: :lol: