Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

(Horace) Charles Edwin Goodman - MIC query

manicminer

I am researching one Horace Charles Edwin Goodman and had no luck in finding the usual records until I dropped the "Horace" forename.  There is a MIC record for Charles Edwin Goodman which shows his service as a Gunner in the RFA then a 2nd Lieutenant in the KOYLI.

There is a London Gazette reference to Horace Charles Edwin Goodman being promoted to 2nd Lt in April 1917 and I have requested a copy of WO339/87686 from the NA which apparently has details of Horace and his service with KOYLI.

The curious issue is that there are no medal entitlements shown on the MIC - is this unusual??  Also would be interested if anyone can decipher the annotations on the right side of the MIC.

TIA

Phil

Goodman MIC Fold3.pdf

The right hand side annotations say that his medals are recorded on rank & file roll reference RFA/133b page 6609.

Ancestry should have that roll under BWM/Victory - RFA & WO329/57 if you know how to manually browse to that roll then scroll to the page?

TEW

Hi Phil. It appears Horace, pictured below, initially enlisted into the Royal Garrison Artillery before being transferred to the Royal Field Artillery on the 20th July 1916, see attached. In addition, according to the Medal Index Card and Victory Medal, British War Medal Roll, also attached, Horace was commissioned on the 11th March 1918.

I will send you over the full Medal Roll by pm. 

Kind regards

Gunner 87.

6674A796-9D6B-4A50-95C5-6DED14FFD453_4_5005_c.jpeg

B94C8545-8A90-45DD-A8E9-D23831A9A0B8.jpeg

2E108816-5D35-495A-9E5E-7C8EF6255F2D_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

Many thanks TEW and Gunner 87 for the interesting responses. Goodman's family are under the impression he ended the war as a Captain but the LG entry for 1917 shows him to have been made a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant. If they agree to pay the £42 copying fee to the NA, do you think that WO339/87686 is likely to have much more detail about his KOYLI service?

Kind regards

Phil

(Manicminer)

London Gazette March 1917.jpg

Phil. I am not sure what the NA hold but you could email the MoD to see if they have Horace's full service record. This would certainly save on an application which can take a year to process, thought at 30.00 pound it is less expensive. 

The mail box is APC-Sp-Disclosures4@mod.gov.uk

I have just corresponded with them and my enquiry was answered the following day.

Gunner.