Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

a Farrier Serjeant-Major RFA.. a photo.. 1918-19

battiscombe

I came across this photo of Farrier Serjeant-Major Frederick William Barnes RFA (34th Bde Ammunition Column)..  one of only 3 RA Farrier  Serjeant-Majors in 1917 according to Army List.. [he became so 4 Dec 1915 and served out the war with 34th BAC, having joined the BAC when formed in 1914 as FQMS I believe, probably drafted from 69th Bty on mobilisation). As such an unusual rank, this may be of interest to some.. Photographed in Germany.

Farrier SM Barnes 34th BAC 1919 b.jpg

2 hours ago, battiscombe said:

I came across this photo of Farrier Serjeant-Major Frederick William Barnes RFA (34th Bde Ammunition Column)..  one of only 3 RA Farrier  Serjeant-Majors in 1917 according to Army List.. [he became so 4 Dec 1915 and served out the war with 34th BAC, having joined the BAC when formed in 1914 as FQMS I believe, probably drafted from 69th Bty on mobilisation). As such an unusual rank, this may be of interest to some.. Photographed in Germany.

Very rare to see a WO 1st Class in the farrier trade appointment, thank you for sharing the photo.  I can’t remember ever seeing one before, although I’ve seen plenty of WO2 FQMS, and FSS.  

Incidentally his rank was WO1 (from 1915 onward).  It was his appointment that was Farrier Sergeant Major.

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, battiscombe said:

Hi battiscombe. Interestingly, and you may already know this, but there was also a Farrier Sergeant Robert Walter Barnes, 1641, 930661, in the 2/2nd London Brigade, RFA (TF) then B/211 Brigade, RFA. Joined 20/02/15. He came from Partridge Green, Sussex. I wonder if they were related?

Also, 14982, is recorded as Frank W Barnes on his MIC and VM / BWM Roll. Lives of the First World War have him serving with RFA, 1st Brigade , on the 1st July 1914. Of course the IWM have made errors in the past. 

4361430C-452A-41B4-950B-DD9A3C70EABB.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87

thanks for that information. Yes.. Frank it is apologies.. ..

I think he would have been with 1st Brigade in Edinburgh in July 1914, as  in the 1911 census he was listed with 1st Brigade, 69th Battery [as FQMS Frank William Barnes] - 69th Battery was largely broken up on mobilisation in 1914, .... I know there was a batch of men posted to 36th Brigade, 41st Brigade and it also appears to 34th Brigade.. all in 2nd Division, bringing them up to war establishment, along with mobilised reservists ..

Frank was MID twice.

London Gazette 17th May 1918 Supplement 30693 Page 5979. 

Second time in the London Gazette 4th July 1919 Supplement 31437 Page 8526. Serving with 34th Army Brigade, Ammunition Column.