Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nordelph Cemetery, Norfolk

chrisharley9

I recently got the opportunity to visit this cemetery knowing that my great aunt who died in childbirth in 1918 was buried there. I found her grave with no problems what so ever as my mum had told me roughly where abouts it was.

It was only when I came to read the inscriptions on the headstone I realised that this was not just a headstone, but also a family war memorial. On the headstone is also commemorated the 2 pals in my signature. Whilst I always suspected that Jack Clingo was related to me ever since finding his name on the Tyne Cot Memorail as the name Clingo is limited to West Norfolk/Fens area it wasn't until that Sunday afternoon standing in a village cemetery in the middle of nowhere did I realise that the other chap I had been researching for 2 years was also my great uncle. A very strange feeling I can tell you that. I've now changed my signature.

Chris,

It is strange how these things can bring up the hairs on the back of your neck when you least expect them!

I''ve often been seen wandering around cemeteries (looking for certain headstones!!!!) and not being able to find them. I sometimes say quietly "where are you" or "come on stop hiding". I then get this eerie feeling that I should look over my shoulder....... and there's the stone!

Good luck with your research.

Les

Chris,

It is strange how these things can bring up the hairs on the back of your neck when you least expect them!

I''ve often been seen wandering around cemeteries (looking for certain headstones!!!!) and not being able to find them. I sometimes say quietly "where are you" or "come on stop hiding". I then get this eerie feeling that I should look over my shoulder....... and there's the stone!

Good luck with your research.

Les

Les

thanks for your comments - I now feel that at least I'm not alone

All The Best

Chris

I have also had such 'sixth sense' feelings and spooky moments whilst searching cemeteries.

I remember once struggling in a very overgrown cemetery to find a private war grave. There I was in the middle of a dense thicket and I believed I had found the right grave but as it was damaged I was not certain.

I decided to check the headstone next to it but it was totally covered in ivy. After a great effort, I managed to pull the ivy off part of the inscription - luckily exposing the name. Then, I saw it.

Staring out at me from the small gap in the ivy was my own name :huh:

That was a real spooky moment!