Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rouen

hazelclark

I’m finally getting to visit part of the western front but since neither myself nor my husband (who has no interest whatsoever in WW1) want to drive in France, we are going on a Seine cruise from Paris to Honfleur. Therefore we will be somewhat restricted. However, we will go on a day tour of the Somme area including the Newfoundland Memorial, Theipval and the Lochnagar Crater. In addition, we will have a day in Rouen and one in Etretat. Both these places seem to feature in the casualty lists I’ve spent the last few days going through. My grandfather may very well have been in hospital in Rouen on the way back to Britain, but that’s another story.

Does anyone know if either of these places have any sort of WW1 affiliated museums or whatever?

Thanks,

Hazel C

Hello Hazel. Rouen has two CWGC cemeteries, St Sever and Bois Guillaume Communal cemetery.

St Sever is the second largest CWGC cemetery after Tyne Cot. It is in the South of the city and in a loop in the Seine, so wherever your boat docks it should only be a couple of Kilometres to the cemetery (although there are about four loops in the river going through Rouen but St Sever is in the main city centre loop).  It is in a place called Grand Quevilly next to Rouen FC stadium. There are bus stops and a metro stop near by but its probably best to get a taxi.  The Rev T B Hardy VC is buried here and there are a brother and sister buried in the officers plot. 

Bois Guillaume communal cemetery is in the North of the city and is actually two plots in the town cemetery. It  is known as the Cimitere de la Mare des Champs locally. It is best to get a taxi. There is a market outside on Tues and Fri.

Apart from the cemeteries there isn't really any British WW1 places of interest, it was a base depot and there were a lot of hospitals, although there are a lot of French memorials dotted about..

During WW2 Rouen was a major base for the Kriegsmarine, its the fifth largest port in France and because of this and being a major rail hub it was heavily bombed in the lead up to D Day, then as liberation for the city approached (by the Canadians) there was a battle between the Resistance and the Nazis, evidence of which can still be seen in the town centre - the Hotel de Ville and the Palais de Justice which both face one another are pockmarked with bullet scars, the gestapo were one side and the Resistance the other.

There is a lot of Medieval history however and a lot of places to visit generally. Cathedrale Notre-Dame, Rue du Gros-Horloge, Vieux Rouen, Abbey St Ouen.

Just don't mention Joan D'Arc, Rouen is where the English burnt her at the Stake, some of the locals are still a bit touchy:o:o:o

Regards

Mick

Thanks Mick. That is a lot of information. 

I was aware that Rouen was heavily involved in WW2, and I have been interested in it largely because of the resistance involvement. However, until I had gone through the casualty reports wasn’t aware how much it was used in WW1. It makes sense of course since it is readily accessible to the English Channel. Another place that was mentioned quite a bit was Etretat which I had no idea was used so much in WW1.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

Hazel C.