Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P-14 with Volley Sights (!!)

EdinFla

Got this a while back at a show here in Fla.  I got it because I had never seen an arm with volley sights intact.  

That said, I'd like to know a bit more.  he pictures tell the story pretty much.

What does "RE" stand for?  Is the "1914" on the buttstock a date or a designation?  

Any other info greatfully appreciated.

IMG_5228.JPG

IMG_5225.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

IMG_5227.JPG

Another thing: there seem to be two types of rear peep sights associated with the volley sight, what is the story there?  

RE is for Remington - one of the US manufacturers of the Pattern 1914 Enfield. I’m sure others will give you chapter and verse shortly.

1914 is the Pattern designation (as in Pattern 1914) the * is also part of the designation as this is a MkI* rifle with enlarged bolt head lugs.

as noted above RE = Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Company stock stamp IR

the other producers were Winchester Repeating Arms (Marked Winchester - stock stamp IW)  and Eddystone (Remington Arms) (Marked ERA stock stamp IE.)

If you remove the upper handguard you should see a barrel manufacture date in the form '16 or '17 (for 1916 or 1917)

In your case I would expect it to show '16 because if I am reading the delivery tables correctly I believe 448108 was accepted by British inspectors in week ending 12th August 1916.

I am not sure what you are referring to with the "two sorts of peep sights" associated with the long range sight, to my knowledge there is only one correct type - but you sometimes find peeps from SHtLE MkIIIs fitted by people "restoring" rifles. There were fine adjust rear sights (the main sight) fitted to some rifles.

Chris

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2023 at 02:40, 4thGordons said:

1914 is the Pattern designation (as in Pattern 1914) the * is also part of the designation as this is a MkI* rifle with enlarged bolt head lugs. ...

Chris, I would never really question your judgement on these bangedy-bang things, but in this case, just the once - are you sure that '*' by the 'IR/1914' mark is not a 'Sold out Service' mark? There is one on the receiver. I take your word for it, of course. that it is indeed a MkI* rifle, but just question that asterik!

Julian