Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Surrey's Service number on MIC

LtColSki USMC0302

Im looking at a service number for a soldier in the East Surrey Regiment. It is written on the MIC as L/5597. What is the significance of the "L"? Also does the 4-digit number indicate pre-war service? I'd appreciate any help as well any suggestions as to a good reference work to help me "get smart" on service numbers (if such an animal exists).

Thanks,

~Dan

Hi Dan.

The 4 figure service number usually (But Not always) indicates "Territorial" service. Indeed, also, can be indicative of Early Enlistment.

The "Prefix" L is sometimes issued to soldiers of "Home Counties" Regt's.

The Home Counties being those that are "around" London, so this could fit perfectly for an East Surreys man.

Hope this helps a little.

Mark.

Im looking at a service number for a soldier in the East Surrey Regiment.  It is written on the MIC as L/5597.  What is the significance of the "L"?  Also does the 4-digit number indicate pre-war service?  I'd appreciate any help as well any suggestions as to a good reference work to help me "get smart" on service numbers (if such an animal exists).

Thanks,

~Dan

That's what I thought - must be a Territorial as he has 4 digits. However I looked him up and he's 1st battalion. Those prefixes are confusing. Scottish soldiers have a similar one 'S' though others in the same regiment don't have them.

Duncan.

Mark / Duncan,

Thanks very much for the help. Is there a definitive reference work out there dealing with service numbers or does one just have to go on experience?

As Duncan noted he was in the 1st Battalion, at least that is where he started out. The 1st Battalion landed in August but his MIC shows him as entering F/F in October. Any thoughts as to why he would have joined late? I'm assuming he may have been in hospital or left behind with the remain behind crew.

Thanks again. I appreciate the quick response.

Cheers,

~Dan