Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant John Herbert Dunbabin DCM

aengland

Here is a puzzle which, as I have little medical knowledge, is confusing me.

Sergeant John Herbert Dunbabin served with the 1st Norfolks and returned back home to King's Lynn and underwent an operation in September on 30 September 1917, apparently on his hand, but unfortunately died on 30 September 1917.

Th death certificate gives the cause of death as 'constriction of intestine by a band Operation' which doesn't sound like a complication following an operation on a hand!  I am struggling to get my head around it.  e.g. does anyone know what a 'band operation' is?

Any help will be gratefully received!

Andrew

Forgot to say that in the contemporary newspapers it said he died following complications to the wound he received on the western front, but his wound was to his hand!

Curiouser and curiouser!

Andrew

Gastric band springs to mind 

Here's an 1879 article from the BMJ about "A Case of Acute Intestinal Obstruction by a Band: Operation: Death ten days after"  It seems more than a little distant from a hand wound so perhaps that particular injury was unrelated to cause of death?

brmedj04953-0007.jpeg

Edited by TullochArd

Good morning TullochArd, and thank you so much for the article.  It is very helpful.   Do you have access to the next page please?

Thank you

Andrew

1 hour ago, aengland said:

Do you have access to the next page please?

I'm afraid the next page would only be revealed with a £175 annual subscription Andrew ...... which I do not have. 

The band operation is described more simplistically at the following link  as "surgical interference to relieve intestinal stoppage"  

An Operation to Relieve Obstruction of the Bowels by a Band; Death | NEJM

I understand why you are reluctant to grab the rest of the article.  I do not have a spare £175 either!

Thank you for the next article and now I am getting a handle on the problem and the operation...... fascinating what the doctors / surgeons did to relieve the condition.... and what they fed the patients on! Sherry!

Great... I really appreciate your help on this problem.

Thank you again

Andrew

Does the post title not sell him short Andrew?  He is after all Sgt John Herbert Dunbabin DCM.  

"For conspicuous gallantry on 1st December, 1915, near Mametz. Immediately after a German mine had been exploded he led his grenadiers to repel an attack, and, when all remained quiet, he had himself lowered down the shaft. On spite of foul gas and falling gantries he succeeded in bringing two unconscious men to the surface, and helped to get out several others. He was the first man down the mine after the explosion."

You are right.....  he was awarded the DCM.  I will try and change the post title.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Andrew

• aengland changed the title to Sergeant John Herbert Dunbabin DCM

Ze Ze

Thank you sao very much...... it is greatly appreciated.

Andrew