Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation of a 'Gott Strafe England' postcard requested

Stereoview Paul

Hi All,

Just received this 1918 postcard in fantastic condition direct from Germany and would love to understand the message. I have tried to enhance the text but still not crystal clear. Thank you - Paul

img20230520_19174428.jpg.3f9662289d9f522b5347989d36bafbe2.jpg

img20230520_19192066.jpg.29fe4e3fde3669ce760524dc6d208a07.jpg

img20230520_19192066-rot.jpg.93f9af40b547d2743bee5500188056a7.jpg

• Stereoview Paul changed the title to Translation of a 'Gott Strafe England' postcard requested

Can’t help with the translation on back of card but I think the Gott Strafe England could be God attack England.

simon

8 minutes ago, mancpal said:

Can’t help with the translation on back of card but I think the Gott Strafe England could be God attack England.

simon

Yes, it appears in lots of places, stickers for letters and postcards, on shells, on a sea mine......

I have a stereoview of a similarly labelled building with a group of German prisoners being marched past! It was nice to find an original Feldpost example and I hope someone can read the letter.

Later examples have Gott Strafe England and Italy.

gottstrafeEngland.jpg.ea542f85d372ec7016a3660ee04c13b9.jpg

N0795H.jpg.fd04de3ee5b7b6efd2a00e4aeb3a7d67.jpg

He writes to his sweetheart Miss Frieda Schönemann in Dirschau. "Today I was again without any news from you, but I look forward to my return." It has been quiet this morning, they have new quarters, he will write more about that later. "Nothing else new here." He is doing well and hopes that she is too. He wrote to someone (maybe Kneiding? or Kreiding?) but didn't get a reply yet. He sends his greetings to her family "and for you my darling especially greetings and kisses."

Edited by knittinganddeath

6 minutes ago, knittinganddeath said:

He writes to his sweetheart Miss Frieda Schönemann in Dirschau. "Today I was again without any news from you, but I look forward to my return." It has been quiet this morning, they have new quarters, he will write more about that later. "Nothing else new here." He is doing well and hopes that she is too. He wrote to someone (maybe Kneiding? or Kreiding?) but didn't get a reply yet. He sends his greetings to her family "and for you my darling especially greetings and kisses."

Thank you, I guess he had a few more weeks of nothing else new, before the build-up to the Spring Offensive.