Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German planes brought down in Palestine 3 March 1918

stevenbecker

Mates,

I am having trouble confirming this action and those involved can you shed any light here?

Accounts mention the bring down of a German plane near Jaffa and was claimed by Maj Stent and Capt Peck 111 Sqn RFC.

the Aerodrome site, I could only find the claim by Peck, who shows and unknown plane brought down SE of Yehudieh 3 Mar 1918 

The book "One Airmans War" by Bull from  1 Sqn AFC mentions the two seater brought down and mentions these two Germans

Freidlander  or  Friedlander ObLt    Airforce Flieger-Abteilung 304b    1917-18     reported brought down with Vzfw Trottes both wounded by Maj Stent/Capt Peck 111 Sqn RFC near Jaffa PoW 3-3-18

Trottes    VzFeldwebel     Airforce Flieger-Abteilung 304b    1917-18     reported brought down with ObLt Freidlander both wounded by Maj Stent / SE 5a (B26) Capt Peck 111 Sqn RFC SE of Yehudieh landed near Jaffa PoW 3-3-18

I can find no record of these two Germans, other then a possible spelling  for Friedlander

Can you help sort this out?

S.B

Hi Steve

I have it that Maj Frederick William Stent (S.E.5a B618) and Capt Arthur Hicks Peck (S.E.5a B26) joined forces to bring down a two-seater behind the British lines, north-east of Ludd; the note I have associated with these claims is Vzfw Johannes Lottes (Pow) & Ltn Friedlaender (Pow), FA304b ?.  

Although the Aerodrome has Stent in S.E.5a B618, this is an error since this machine spent its time at the School of Fighting at Turnberry.

Graeme

Graeme,

Thanks mate.

What part of the Aerodrome site, did you see the bit on Stent, as I could not find it under Aces in 111 Sqn or 48 Sqn?

Bull tells us that there were two claims that day by Stent and Peck and that the two seater was one of them

since no others appear brought down, then they must have both claimed the same plane?

The Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg shows no man named Friedlaender or Friedlander from Bayern, so I could not find him

As for Lottes, there are so many named Johan or such like, from Bayern its hard to confirm him?

But most possibly Vzfw Lottes Johann (Kulmbach, Oberfr.) the entry is "gefangen" dated 17-4-18 

While what they did is not confirmed, I already had Lottes down as Beobachter thanks to Ole Nikoljsen's book

The two seater was possibly a AEG C4 of which FA 304b used for her recee work

Cheers

S.B

Steve

The information from the Aerodrome is in the listing for Peck's claims - https://www.theaerodrome.com/aces/england/peck.php.  As far as I know, Stent was credited with four victories, so has no listing in the Aces section.

Casualties of the German Air Service has the crew as Vfw Lottes and Obltn Friedländer but gives the date as 4 March 1918.

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,

Thanks 

Yes why the date change when all Allied sources show 3 Mar 1918

Do you have any details on Pecks other claims, like these, which I can't find any details?

6 23 Mar 1918 0930 111 S.E.5a (B52) Albatros D.III (OOC) N of Jericho
7 23 Mar 1918 0932 111 S.E.5a (B52) Albatros D.III (OOC) N of Jericho
8 23 Mar 1918 0935 111 S.E.5a (B52) C (OOC) N of Jericho

Bull also records the action, in that Peck engaged five enemy planes and shot down three, two of whom crashed in our lines 

I can find no German losses that day

Cheers

S.B