Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to interpret "ru for"

dawnyowl

Hello, help needed in interpreting what "ru or ry for " written in pencil above my gt gt aunts name Florence. 

She was born in 1896. the children were split up after mother died. I can't find any thing about where she was after 1911.

Her father william morrison, 14th hampshire regt died in sept 1916 battle of hamel.

Thank you 

Screenshot_20230518-074212_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230517-222437_Chrome.jpg

I thought that perhaps a Pension card may help but it confuses even more. 

George

Yes, I have seen 2. His widow remarried a Mr Gardner. And the other has all his children and stepson. People always though the one son was called Albert Florence.  I have not been able to see the originals.

Here is what I found

image.jpeg.eee6a8e230edf23f17e1977ad70a7d9a.jpeg

George

And, also courtesy of Fold3,

image.jpeg.29fba1388d644f6b07ea905aa89b7527.jpeg

George

William had severL children from his first marriage it looks Florence and Norman have been left of the pension. Maybe she was to old being born in 1896.

Hie new wife Beatrice had a son Albert. That confirms he was illegitimate and the 2 young children Leonard and Kathleen are william morrison s with Beatrice. 

That's excellent. So Florence is not on a pension record but on the gratuity payments

It looks like it but doesn't help with interpreting that odd short hand phrase for you!

George

It doesn't really make sense as to howthe war gratuity was divided up. He had other blood related children.

It does say Florence doesn't it, its not step son horace? 

You'll need to update your Ancestry tree as it is Leonard Percy b 1914 and Hilda Kathleen b 1915

George

Am I correct in thinking that Florence was born in Colomba(sic) Sri Lanka?

George

Florence's brother...

image.jpeg.c18bb505f9d84163673a42465dd667f0.jpeg

courtesy Fold3

George

That's great I have got more information than I started with. I have looked at following pages and its usually the relationship to the deceased. If it was her married name it would be Mrs.

On 19/05/2023 at 08:34, George Rayner said:

Here is what I found

image.jpeg.eee6a8e230edf23f17e1977ad70a7d9a.jpeg

George

Surely that's Albert Horace?

Yes it does

George

I thought that before, but what is the word above, it does look like for or son.  and why share the gratuity to his stepson. Yet it does mention Leonard who is his real son. 

He does have another daughter Florence.  Who was in the francis owennhomme cheltenham 1911 age 15. 

Isn't the mystery abbreviation "ref for".  Refused for?

Yes I agree it's got to be something like that. Maybe they couldn't trace her. As I said before the girls rosaand Florence were split up after their mom died. Father remarried had his sons and then some more with Beatrice, then left for the war. I canctrace rosalie my gt gt fran but Florence dissappears. 

Sorry  - thought this was dealt with. Most likely to be "Ry" for - ie "Residuary for", in other words the balance was to go to Florence.

Probably simply put there to explain that it was being held pending confirmation of her whereabouts and to allow the other payments to go out.
Presumably there isn't a second record of soldiers effects record either showing it being paid out or being redistributed amongt the other beneficiaries?

Cheers,
Peter

That's a good explanation,  there is no record of her after 1911. She would have been 15. So possibly she married and left.

On 19/05/2023 at 07:44, dawnyowl said:

too old being born in 1896.

I think that is the likely correct interpretation = A child normally only got a pension allowance until they reached 16 [only under exceptional circumstances of disability or special educational needs might it it occasionally be extended to 21 - but that wasn't the usual case]

M