Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAF Air Sqn's and abases UK

stevenbecker

Mates,

Sorry, but you know more about these then me, but I was trying to confirm these RAF bases this man is said to have served in, can you check for me?

FITTON    Albert Henry    30    Spr    1 LH Sig Troop    HQ att 29 British Div at Cape Helles 4-15 to Imbros Special Duty Wls 7-15 rtn 8-15 evac to (St Johns) hosp Malta (jaundice) 10-15 (G) to OS base Egypt 12-15 to AIF HQ Cairo 3-16 to AIF HQ UK 1916 to (1 AAuxH) hosp Harefield UK (fistula) 3-17 to 17 FCE at Parkhouse UK 5-17 to 6 Div Sig Co at Parkhouse UK 6-17 to cadet 29 Trg Sqn RFC Shawbury UK 7-17 (pilot) prom 2/Lt 22-3-18 to 94 Sqn RAF Harling Road UK 3-18 to 69 Trg Sqn RAF at Marborough UK 3-18 to 2 FS (fighting & Gunnery) RAF Marske UK 5-18 to 31 Trg Sqn RFC at Upton Hunt UK 8-18 to 1 Torpedo Sqn RAF (TAB) at RN Airstation East Fortune to 5 Trg Sqn AFC UK 12-18 RTA 1914 leave (CMF Lt 45Bn 31-3-21) 
Some seam a bit hinky to me

S.B

Brief histories of two of the stations mentioned can be found on the rafweb site, including:

Wikipedia provides details on RAF Markse:

Links for RAF Harling Road:

I suspect your RAF Marborough is actually meant to be RAF Narborough, which was a base for 69 Training Squadron according to the list of units that served there on the first link:

The only one I am having real difficulty finding is RAF Upton Hunt, as 31 Training Squadron was apparently based at RAF Wyton until September 1918, which is after the date that your airman was posted to 31 Training Squadron.

Mate,

Thank you that clears him up nicely.

Yes having a closer look, Wyton not Upton, appears more likely

The Hunt is in fact Hunts, which fits in with the base being in Huntingdonshire

Cheers

S.B

I'm assuming you've found his AIR 76 record at the National Archives in addition to his Australian record.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8260044

According to www.airhistory.org.uk he received Royal Aero Club certificate number 5340 on 20 October 1917. I think both Ancestry and Findmypast have copies of the photographs taken for most of the Royal Aero Club certificates up to the end of the war, so if you're looking for a photo of him there may well be one in this collection.