Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Front Line Serre Road, 1st July 1916

AndyK2479

Hello, all, 

I've just returned from my first proper visit to the Somme. 

Spent some time cycling and walking the area of Serre and the Redan Ridge before heading to Beaumont Hamel, Thiepval and Pozieres.

My question is, where did the respective front lines run in the area of  Serre Road No1 & No2 cemetery to the Redan Ridge.

I stood at the entrance of both cemeteries and took in the 'ground' but couldn't really relate to where the British jumped off from or where the German defence line and Heidenkopf were positioned, in relation to where I was stood, did the 4th Division advance over the top of the slope where Serre Road No1 and the French cemetery are situated?

Any help in helping my understanding would be much appreciated.

Andy

We had a dig to the left of Serre Road Cemetery 2, The German line ran along the road toward the small chapel, the Bayern Graben being behind the chapel. Across the road are depressions, the remains of the 4 mines set off in front of the Heidenkopf. I will see if I can locate a period map.   Ralph

Hi Andy, TrenchMapper, from The Western Front Association, has the Official History maps georeferenced over modern terrain, as well as finer granularity ones.  Here is the OH from 1 July 1916 with the 4th Division left and right boundary, followed by the situation as reported to GHQ 10:15am July 2nd 1916.  Search on Redan Ridge then use the opacity slider to see satellite imagery underneath.  StreetView is inlcuded to help you 'drive' the area.  Click images to enlarge.

image.png.95026d8b859d973b815f515a2ee868e4.png

image.png.fdfb51f57be962359e5e834d468acfc5.png

Hello Andy, I believe "Walter Trench" ran directly behind Serre Road Cemetery and carried on to just behind the Farmers land in 1918.Ian.

Farmer being the "well known" one.

16 hours ago, Ralph J. Whitehead said:

We had a dig to the left of Serre Road Cemetery 2, The German line ran along the road toward the small chapel, the Bayern Graben being behind the chapel. Across the road are depressions, the remains of the 4 mines set off in front of the Heidenkopf. I will see if I can locate a period map.   Ralph

Thanks Ralph, 

I've always wanted to visit Serre, always had a fascination with the Pals Battalions who fought there, I'm from Rotherham originally and a WW1 veteran lived over the road from my nan and grandad. 

Seeing the actual ground and cemeteries within was really moving. 

I can get a bit more of an idea of the trench layouts for the 31st and 4th Division now.

Andy

12 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

Hi Andy, TrenchMapper, from The Western Front Association, has the Official History maps georeferenced over modern terrain, as well as finer granularity ones.  Here is the OH from 1 July 1916 with the 4th Division left and right boundary, followed by the situation as reported to GHQ 10:15am July 2nd 1916.  Search on Redan Ridge then use the opacity slider to see satellite imagery underneath.  StreetView is inlcuded to help you 'drive' the area.  Click images to enlarge.

image.png.95026d8b859d973b815f515a2ee868e4.png

image.png.fdfb51f57be962359e5e834d468acfc5.png

Thanks for the info, really, really useful and does help my understanding.

4 minutes ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Hello Andy, I believe "Walter Trench" ran directly behind Serre Road Cemetery and carried on to just behind the Farmers land in 1918.Ian.

Farmer being the "well known" one.

Luckily he wasn't about last Thursday, the top part of the track down towards Sheffield Memorial Park was the worst bit of ground we cycled on in a 31 mile circuit from Albert! 

11 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

, I believe "Walter Trench" ran directly behind Serre Road Cemetery and carried on to just behind the Farmers land in 1918

image.png.baf7193222281169a0b677fb05d21e75.png

9 hours ago, WhiteStarLine said:

image.png.baf7193222281169a0b677fb05d21e75.png

Thanks Whitestar, that pinpoints the exact position perfectly,I always thought it was a little further West. Helps me alot as it is the trench where my GG set off from in 1918, only to get killed. Thanks for posting,Ian.

This map is from the June 1916 WD of 4 Div HQ GS and shows Redan Ridge. There are also sketches showing the Front Line 

Courtesy TNA WO 95/1444.

There are other detailed maps of the area in front of Serre in the WD of 94 Infantry Brigade HQ of 31 Div from July to November 1916.

Brian.

1444.jpg