Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Walter Bayne 1873-1937

Archivist_47

Charles worked as a Railway Manager in Argentina and Uruguay. He is said to have volunteered to fight in WW1. Any evidence of this?

There is a book ‘Activities of the British Community in Argentina During the Great War 1914-1919’, published in 1920 which gives the names of some 4,852 volunteers from Argentina. Of those, 528 appear on the book’s Roll of Honour. A slightly expanded roll of honour of those from Argentina killed in the war is available online.[1]

Charles may be listed

See an article by the western front association  Link

There's a Red Cross link from 1914.

Snap2023-05-18at15_22_55.png.925519394deb55dbd33ddff51dd02bd3.png

A Charles Walter Bayne & family returning to Uruguay in 1920.

Snap2023-05-18at15_43_39.png.b25c7115f60da8b9e863cea117b8ffc7.png

Edited by sadbrewer

'Ladies British Red X Committee' ?

George

3 hours ago, George Rayner said:

'Ladies British Red X Committee' ?

George

I think his wife is the connection. 

There is a Spanish language book about him' Las Guerras de Mr Bayne.' by Alvaro Cuenca.

Perhaps contact Mr Cuenca for more information?

A brief synopsis courtesy of Google translate

Charles Bayne, a purebred Englishman, is the central character of this investigation. Molded by an education centered on the following pillars: sports to affirm character, obedience, esprit de corps, religion to affirm moral principles and Greco-Latin classics because they are the basis of all knowledge that is worth having. “Expert in nothing, but ready for everything”, that was the watchword for the intrepid colonizers. From his position as manager of the Central Railway of Uruguay, he directed the efforts of the local British community in the process of the First World War. This is his story. More than recommended.

This work analyzes the position of the British colony in Uruguay during the First World War (1914-1918) and specifically the participation of its maximum promoter and emblematic leader Charles Walter Bayne. To recreate this story, two chroniclers of the British community of the time were used: William Denstone and Henry Castle. In addition, interviews with Bayne's descendants were conducted. Cuenca has a degree in English Literature.

Snap2023-05-19at11_22_15.png.a7d1fda5bd42c1a41b2c781397f508d5.png

Edited by sadbrewer

• 11 months later...

Hi everyone,

New to the website and not that familiar with online forums but here goes! I am researching my family history and came across this forum when I put Charles Walter Bayne into Google. Charles is my Great Grandfather Arthur Francis Bayne's younger brother (Arthur Francis Bayne is my Dad's maternal Grandfather). My Dad was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and the whole South American connection is slowly coming to light (there were numerous Bayne family members Uruguay/Argentina in the late 1800s, early 1900s and when Arthur's daughter Norah Marion Bayne married my Grandfather Henry Andrews the two families came together).  Going to the initial query on this thread - I have no idea yet as to CW Bayne's involvement in WW1. The British Red Cross entry is spurious I think - I've followed it back to the original Red Cross entry and it is a MRS C.W. Bayne (which explains the "Ladies British Red Cross Committee") - I think the 'C.W. Bayne' element is coincidental and two different people? The SS Herschel 's Passenger List entry is information treasure - thank you sadbrewer!! That is definitely him - placing him there and then and fantastic additional info with the whole family's names and ages!! The book 'las guerras de Mr Bayne' is a potential info gold mine and I will be looking for that (and a means of translating!). Sorry this is a bit long winded but finally -- on a side note -- although I registered on the site primarily for C.W. Bayne research, I am ex Armed Forces myself and very interested in everything connected to that, which obviously includes WW1 and WW2. So will hopefully try and contribute information/thoughts etc. as and when.