Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dragoon Guards

colin12

Can any of you Pals tell me anything about Albert Sampson He served in India, South Africa anad then in WW1, beleive he was with the Dragoon Guards. Apart from that I know nothing at all.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Colin

Hi, Just to add some more information about Albert Sampson, according to his medal card he had two Regimental numbers.

Dragoon Guards GDN/4650 Staff/Sgt and Corps of Dragoons D/20345 S/Sgt

Any thing else would be a bonus.

Thanks

Colin

Dragoon Guards GDN/4650 Staff/Sgt and Corps of Dragoons D/20345 S/Sgt

Hi Colin,

There were several regiments of Dragoon Guards, so you need to look at the medal roll and find out which he was with and then look them up on the main site, as a starting point.

For his earlier service you then look at the Boer War medal rolls (QSA and KSA) and check to see if he has a Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

He might have been discharged before WW1 and so those service records will be in WO 97, otherwise its the usual joys of WO 363 and 364, but I would check WO 364 (all 4 files) first, as he is likely to have qualified for a pension.

Fred

Hi Fred,

The medal card reads 6 D/Gds, as to WO 363/364 can you access these online? as I have never been able to! He has the Victory and British War medals so I think that he saw the was through.

You also mention the 'main site' where is that?

Thanks for your help

Colin

hi Colin,

The main site is the Long Long Trail, and the 6th Dragoon Guards can be found here:Carabiniers They served from Mons 1914 to close to Mons again on 11/11/18.

WO 363/364 are not online, so can only be accessed at Kew.

Fred