Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery WW1 Cemetery

J Banning

Hi all,

Was wondering of someone out there is cyberland may be able to help me solve this mystery. The attached photo of a cemetery was taken by a distant relative on their motorbike tour of Europe in 1934. I know that he went to DUHALLOW A.D.S. CEMETERY in the salient as some of the other photos show the cemetery and the headstone of another distant relative who is buried there. However, I do not think this is in the salient and may even be in Germany. As an aside, some of the photos he took are of a square in Germany with SA Brownshirts marching past carrying swastika flags.

I am a regular visitor to the Western Front and have scoured every page of Sidney Hurst’s ‘The Silent Cities’ but to no avail! I first saw this photo a coupe of years ago and have asked like-minded mates with a passion for all things Great War if they know it but, as yet, no one can help me place it. Am not sure how the scan will come out on the forum but it definitely looks like the headstones are laid flat and there is a communal cemetery behind.

Any help/suggestions given would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

post-6778-1112959033.jpg

Welcome to the forum..............

It doesn't look like a CWGC cemetery as the headstones are crosses. Could you you do a scan and set it a bit darker (although I do know my system here at work isn't very good for viewing pictures!)

• Admin

I think it is Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

P12 Silent Cities

Regards, Michelle :blink:

The power of the Forum strikes again! A long researched picture is identified within 40 mins, pretty impressive. Of course the irony is that Michelle found it in one of the books Ralph said he checked. Gee, I've never been there before!! :D

Andy