Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where this soldier served?

Noor

Hi all,

Another one to understand - this soldier only enlisted 1919 but became entitled Victory and British War medal. I am just wondering where he served in order to got these?

Can anyone read out more from his service file?

hughes.jpg

Clearly he had previous service but if you don't share the service number/name, how can we help? 

Look at left hand side of same page.

RFC/RAF Aircraftman in Egypt Exped Force (ERD/ERS Engine Repair Depot/Shops ('X' ERS in Egypt) then service in India (North West Frontier)?

Edited by Jrmh

Ah, prefect! That I was "googling" out as well - "X" - Egypt. But did they qualified for VM/BWM then for India service as well 1919-1923??

@charlie962 his name was 331383 Thomas Robinson Hughes DOB 10 Jan 1899

He was not entitled to the War & Victory Medals for his service as 331383 with the RAF. His service sheet shows no other service prior to joining the RAF in 1919

Steve

1 hour ago, Noor said:

became entitled Victory and British War medal.

What would be your source for this? The medals themselves? What is the actual inscription?

Charlie

I spotted his medals on sale and I was attempted to purchase for my own collection but I wasn't able to figure out his service. No pictures of the naming's but the dealer claims the following: WW1 British War Medal and Victory Medal named to 331383 PTE. 2. T. HUGHES, R.A.F.

Also they are accompanied with WW2 unnamed Defence and War medals + matching miniature set.

8 minutes ago, Noor said:

named to 331383 PTE. 2. T. HUGHES,

PTE? For an RAF man this surely should read more like AM2 or somesuch? Struggling!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, I leave that set - too many questions and I have obtained enough sets last month to keep me busy with the researches/learnings. Better to start with the dimple pairs than those puzzles.

Edited by Noor