Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme visit -w/c 24 April

burlington

Hi all

Any pics wanted from the general Somme area?

Anyone fancy meeting for a beer at Tommy's?

Martin

Hi all

Any pics wanted from the general Somme area?

Anyone fancy meeting for a beer at Tommy's?

Martin

I'll see you there if you set a time and day, oh 2 pints please Martin one for me and one for Linda!.

Cu soon

Kevin

Hi martin

I am part of a large group staying at Auchonvillers on the weekend of 24/25 April. We have an itinery and I know we will be popping into the Tommy Bar at some time but I do not know when. If you see a 21 seater coach over the weekend then it might be us. What type of vehicle will you be in. Or I could say to Dominic this round is on Martin and he will be in later to pay!!!!

Regards

terry

Terry

Green Citroen Berlingo. Arriving France on Sunday 24th. Overnight somewhere and then on to Avril's on Monday evening. Will probably be around Gommecourt on the Monday.

Martin

I'll see you there if you set a time and day, oh 2 pints please Martin one for me and one for Linda!.

Cu soon

Kevin

Kevin

How about Tuesday 26, pm. 4-ish?

Anyone else?

Martin

Hi Martin,

Am doing a presentation and could really improve this with shots of the Tara and usna from Lochnagar. Sausage and mash valley would be an added bonus.

Thank you

Stephen Binks

Martin

Sorry, we will have gone by then. Better buy some booze on the ferry. There will be none left at Avril's when the Knowle group have gone!!!!

Terry

Martin

Sorry, we will have gone by then. Better buy some booze on the ferry. There will be none left at Avril's when the Knowle group have gone!!!!

Terry

Ooooh!!

Hi Martin,

Am doing a presentation and could really improve this with shots of the Tara and usna from Lochnagar. Sausage and mash valley would be an added bonus.

Thank you

Stephen Binks

Stephen

Any precise locations?

Martin

:)

Hello if you are going to Caterpillar cemetery I would be interested by

a photo of the following soldier's gravestone

Name: GREEFF

Initials: P A C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 2nd Bn. (Rhodesian Platoon)

Date of Death: 09/09/1916

Service No: R/16058

Additional information: Son of P. A. C. Greeff, of Graaff Reinet, Cape Province, South Africa.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. F. 24.

Cemetery: CATERPILLAR VALLEY CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL

I hope it will not disturb you too much, if you can do this for me.

Best regards

As can be seen from my other post about James Woodall, I don't know his regiment: but just in case he is buried in a cemetary out there please would you all bear his name in mind and photograph any possibles in the off chance that he has been missed from the official records?

Many thanks

As can be seen from my other post about James Woodall, I don't know his regiment: but just in case he is buried in a cemetary out there please would you all bear his name in mind and photograph any possibles in the off chance that he has been missed from the official records?

Many thanks

Denise

Honestly, I think that you should not raise your hopes on this one.

The odds of finding one grave or memorial by chance amongst many hundreds of thousands must be very long.

Martin

Willing to take the risk of a very long shot!! I have nothing else to go on... can't find a single thing - and you never know someone might just be standing by a grave with that name on and it rings bells... chances are however, he's one of the many unknown soldiers. Pay my respects by one of those graves instead for James for me will you? :)

Martin,

Are you for a beer or two one evening? We will be around the Somme on Wednesday night, if that's any good?

Regards,

AGWR

Oh yes!

When and where? Bearing in mind French drink & drive laws. Actually I tend to stay put in the evening, but forage around for the rest of the day.

Where are you staying?

Martin

Martin,

We tend to use Formula Ones because they're so cheap. Not luxurious, but it means more money for booze and food. We'll probably be staying near Cambrai and Assevillers. Where are you staying?

Regards,

AGWR

Avril Williams', Auchonvillers

Probably a bit far to meet up.

Martin

I would love a picture of my great uncles grave if you are going nearby. details below.

Name: PLANT, ARTHUR CEDRIC

Initials: A C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/08/1916

Service No: 12589

Additional information: Son of Mrs. A. Plant, of 61, Regent St., Kettering, Northants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: H. 23.

Cemetery: AVELUY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

OK. Should be able to do.

digital pic OK for you?