Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Role of the infantry company commander

FrancesH

I can't find a thread which specifically outlines the company commander's role and responsibilities, and although there must be summaries in books, I'm obviously looking in the wrong places! I thought this would be something I'd check up on in half an hour but the afternoon has run away without success! Guidance, please -- a paragraph summary maybe??

Nobody?? Please someone say something!

I surpose it has not changed much in 100 years, but I notice this from the Good book

This is of cause a over view but basic there s more but that's to role

Company Commanders are primarily accountable for everything that happens or otherwise in their unit. Their duties include preparing their unit for combat, ensuring their unit has a high level of readiness, and providing their unit with battle-focused training

Hi Steven, thank you so much for responding. I suppose all one can say is they provided the link between the CO and the platoon leaders. 

Yes

The CC takes care of the little problems before they become Big problems, and reach to big man.

Or that's been my expirence.

Training comes in two parts, that's Regt/Bn Training and Company/Sqn Training

It can go down further but thye fit into the other two.

Some Troop/Plat leaders like to doing own thing, with in the Bn and Company frame work.

Of cause I am generalizing here, which is not always best

Are you after any thing in aprticular?

S.B

No, I jusr realised that I wasn't altogether clear about company commanders, and had read very little written from their point of view, whereas it's very easy to find contemporary stuff written by platoon leaders!

On 15/05/2023 at 07:48, FrancesH said:

No, I jusr realised that I wasn't altogether clear about company commanders, and had read very little written from their point of view, whereas it's very easy to find contemporary stuff written by platoon leaders!

Frances I think you might find it informative to read this thesis about battalion commanders during WW1, as all those mentioned will have been company commanders previously, and they cover the three types of battalion, Regular, Territorial Force and War-Raised (for the duration of hostilities): https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/4754/1/Hodgkinson14PhD.pdf

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, Frogsmile! As always you have the essential information! 

12 minutes ago, FrancesH said:

Thank you, Frogsmile! As always you have the essential information! 

I thought it a good thesis.  Another useful source of diverse information is the following link, that although Canadian centric reflects the long relationship between the Canadian military, and the British influences from which it originated: http://www.regimentalrogue.com

Edited by FROGSMILE

I'm looking forward to reading the thesis -- had a brief look at the list of contents just now and it looks full of general interest as well as my specific concern. Thank you for the new link.

And finally, I commend to you this additional thesis, that studies in a very interesting way the officers who emerged via promotion from the ranks during the course of WW1, many of whom were also infantry company commanders: https://etheses.bham.ac.uk/id/eprint/7822/1/Deeks17PhD.pdf

2 minutes ago, FrancesH said:

I'm looking forward to reading the thesis -- had a brief look at the list of contents just now and it looks full of general interest as well as my specific concern. Thank you for the new link.

I’m pleased to help Frances and I’m sure that you will find your reading rewarding.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Ooo! I am always very interested in 'Temporary Gentlemen' and their fortunes! Thank you!