Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Hewson drowned at Cambridge on August 27, 1914

David Porter

I've had a search and I don't think this man is commemorated - does accidental drowning qualify or not?

Hewson1.jpg.61ad87876e2a95fd28cf613ca5ac6553.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry

The newspaper reports say he got into difficulties during a clothes washing/bathing session on the river Cam.
A couple of reports are given here - https://capturingcambridge.org/chesterton-2/high-street-chesterton-2/the-hall-cottages-high-street-chesterton/
A 13 year old boy heroically went to his aid but it was in vain.
His body was removed to Newcastle for burial, he was 30 years old and had enlisted in 1903.

Edited by David Porter

6 minutes ago, David Porter said:

I've had a search and I don't think this man is commemorated - does accidental drowning qualify or not?

If he was in service at the time, then yes it does.

I have found a Pension Record Card, that I can't access myself (It's on higher subs Ancestry or Fold 3).
This must confirm he was in service at the time of death?:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=bDw1142&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=61588&gsfn=W*&gsln=Hewson&gsfn_x=1&gsln_x=1&cp=0&new=1&rank=1&uidh=ekf&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=63&h=21274896&recoff=&fsk=MDs0OTs1MA-61--61-&bsk=&pgoff=&ml_rpos=64&queryId=a6cc3a05c5db433a685adb02d09bacfe

No MIC, Medal Roll, Attestation or Pension papers.

23 minutes ago, PhilB said:

What might a striker be?:unsure:

It's a shipbuilding term.  Red hot single head rivets are inserted into holes in plates and struck with a hand held hammer or a mechanical hammer and bashed into a dumbbell shape joining the two plates together.  The fellow on the riveting team with that task is a striker

1 hour ago, RussT said:

I have come across plenty of men commemorated who accidentally drowned .........

I've also got 64337 Pte James Sutcliffe of Rawtenstall "drowned by falling into Barrow Dock, where he was on duty" with 5 (Garrison) RWF on 18 May 1917 and 20560 Pte Henry Jones of 4 (Sup. Coy) Monmouthshire Regt TF "Accidentally drowned" in River Irwell, Rawtenstall on 1 Jan 1916.  Both are commemorated on CWGC and similarly UK HS accidental drownings.

I've also got just down the road on the 27th August 1914 (coincidentally on the exact same day as Hewson) Driver James Power (19) of 6 Nuttall Street, Bolton and Gnr James Wood (16) of Derby Street, Bolton drowned in an accident whilst watering horses on the steep, sloping sides of Wayoh Reservoir, Bolton.  Both were newly activated 3 East Lancs Bde RFA TF soldiers and are commemorated on CWGC records and buried at Heaton Cemetery.

The precedence is clearly set.

Edited by TullochArd

2 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I have found a Pension Record Card, that I can't access myself (It's on higher subs Ancestry or Fold 3).

He was on military duty.

(Courtesy of Fold3)

gwf.jpg.a8831194d7053d4ad5860bd114449c63.jpg

Edited by BillyH

You might want to check with IFCP if he has already been picked up as I think volunteers were checking the SERs against CWGC

Of course men that were accidentally drowned should be recognized. It was just that I was taken aback by William Hewson only having and entry in the Soldiers' Effects. I also thought the IFCP looked at these entries many years ago. In addition his wife and adopted son got a pension as early as May 1915, so that must surely have qualified him for a CWGC commemoration. The two Bolton lads who died in similar circumstances on the same day were rightly given the honour, so why not William?

I was hoping someone might have an idea of where William was buried in the Newcastle district, or if he appeared on any memorial. It is a travesty he has been overlooked for so long.  

Hewson’s case is in process with IFCP.

If anyone, has evidence of his grave site, we would appreciate the details.

Terry

Thanks Terry, Good news indeed.