Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Appeal for Relatives

kenf48

I had a spare five minutes and found a family tree on Ancestry for one of them. I have contacted the family tree owner but she has yet to respond. She probably thinks that I am a stalker. But the person came from a large family and there must be direct descendants from his parents (he was unmarried).

• Admin
On 10/05/2023 at 10:20, Jim Strawbridge said:

I had a spare five minutes and found a family tree on Ancestry for one of them. I have contacted the family tree owner but she has yet to respond. She probably thinks that I am a stalker. But the person came from a large family and there must be direct descendants from his parents (he was unmarried).

Good work Jim,let's hope they make contact, though why CWGC didn't do the search is a mystery.

21 hours ago, kenf48 said:

Good work Jim,let's hope they make contact, though why CWGC didn't do the search is a mystery.

They probably did but it wasn't an easy find. 

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

They probably did but it wasn't an easy find. 

I guessed it was a little more than 'a spare five minutes':thumbsup:

5 hours ago, kenf48 said:

I guessed it was a little more than 'a spare five minutes':thumbsup:

Just a little. I have just spent another five minutes (actually a couple of hours) and found the second one. I have contacted the family tree owner to establish if there are descendants. Out of interest they are the two Little's that have consecutive numbers. I thought that they might be brothers who signed up at the same time but they are not. It appears that the Royal Scots were able to issue service numbers alphabetically.

Frederick Little - there is a good write-up in the Remembrance Book for Langholm Academy (eldest son of William and Janet (Glover) Little who lived at 27, Charlotte Street, Langholm), reproduced here courtesy John Crawford https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

Johnstone Little [also Johnston] - his siblings are listed in Soldiers' Effects, see also https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/  My notes take issue with a date of death of 22nd April 1918 and burial at Raperie where most deaths were 1st August 1918 - it seems there is scope for confusion.

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

Thinking about it overnight, I recall reporting my concern to CWGC. In April 1918 the battalion were at Saint Venant on the Lys.

I assume someone has been looking for mixed up data and the CWGC wants to correct some things?

I have many years ago discovered a similar error as well. I can't remember that I reported it to the CWGC though.

J. Johnson, 2/RSF, 10411, buried in Harlebeke should be corrected to Joseph Johnstone, 1/10/King's, 3849. It's all very obvious when you know a bit about the history of the original (German) cemetery where he was buried.

Jan

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2023 at 23:22, kenf48 said:

Can’t see this has been posted on GWF but latest appeal for relatives by CWGC April 2023

Thanks for this, John Crawford may have found a living relative for Fred Little.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Neill Gilhooley said:

Thanks for this, John Crawford may have found a living relative for Fred Little.

That's good to see, thanks for letting us know.

• 1 month later...

Frederick Little 44254 d. 1.8.18 was on the Soissons Memorial and has now had his grave identified at Raperie, rededication ceremony 6.9.2023

Johnstone Little 44255 d.22.4.18 was recorded as buried at Raperie, now CWGC show him as commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

• 3 weeks later...

The rededication ceremony was on 6th September.

Fred Little.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self: e-mail to CWGC including Fred Little 26 August 2016