Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Still struggling through

Alecras234

Hi my name's ash I'm from North Wales In the uk.  I'm interested in the  1st World War but not sure how to learn about the conflict.   I'm interested in how the war started about the various battles and also the human stories.   I have read many books but get more confused  as people tell me to readd the simple outline of the war it's sructure but I find those a bit too basic. One of the books I've had a go out I've had a go at it's called forgotten voices of the great war but I was told that its too difficult to read as it goes into detail about the soldiers activities.   I was told to stick to the broad outline and once I understand it then go into details.   Please could you advise me on the way to go, I like reading soldiers memoirs but that won't give me the whole picture of the war or will it?   My friend who used to be a doctor now has MS and so retired.   He was into ww2 and knew his stuff but now he has forgotten alot and only remembers general things, dates and such he can't recall.   He told me he learnt from ww2 films, watching documentaries, building models and reading books.   He did all that from when he was a kid.

Hello Alecras234.

I'm sure there will be many recommendations and opinions on where to start but I thought to mention a book that really covers a great deal, aspect wise, of the Great War, how it started, the battles down to specifics relating to the ordinary soldier. In short an everyman's history...

The First World War by Martin Gilbert. 

I've just found a copy on ebay for less than 2.00 pounds!!!

Hope that helps.

Gunner 87.

16ADCD89-E039-49FD-9C42-D3F91AA50889_4_5005_c.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Hi guy\s im reading about the battle of Verdun and then ill look at reading the Somme.    What does this mean from my book or don't i need to worry about this bit?   

At the end of 1915, the new German commander-in-chief, Erich von Falkenhayn, decided that Germany’s ‘arch enemy’ was not France, but Britain. But to destroy Britain’s will Germany had first to defeat France.   

There is a TV series repeated fairly often on PBS America and other channels called simply the First World War. It is based on Hew Strachan's highly acclaimed book of the same name published in 2003.

The TV series is available on DVD.

It covers the war without getting bogged down in what Corps did this or what Army did that and explains what was behind the whole thing as well as set piece battles.

Worth watching several times even if you don’t read the book (which of course you should!).

Howard