Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR MAGPIE Auxiliary Patrol 1917 (DSM) Joseph Henry Helsby

Anna Jaye

Hello everyone. 

This is my first post, so I do hope that I'm doing everything right and following the rules. 

I am trying to research my 2nd Great-Grandfather, Joseph Henry Helsby. He was awarded with a Distinguished Service Medal during WW1 and the inscription on the rim of the medal is inscribed with:  ES1009, JH Helsby, ENG'N, RNR "MAGPIE" AUX PATROL 1917.

I haven't been able to find his military records but honestly I've only searched on Ancestry and I've had limited time. 

I've searched the other posts on this wonderful forum and I've been able to find some information on RNR Magpie, even a photo, which has been fascinating, thank you! Any other assistance or information regarding my GG Grandfather would be greatly appreciated. 

Joseph was born 22 October 1874, in Garston, St Michael, Lancashire 

He married Elizabeth Fenwick 13 June 1896 and they had two daughters, Constance and Elizabeth. 

Constance had two daughters, Joan Constance and Joyce Helsby. Joyce is my wonderful granny. Granny often talked fondly of "Gran and Grandad" who helped bring Joan and Joyce up. 

Joseph died 2 May 1954, Fleetwood, Lancashire age 79

I've probably provided way too much info, but I hope it helps. 

Many thanks for reading my post. 

Kind regards 

Anna Fothergill 

Thornton-Cleveleys, Lancashire 

Screenshot_20230507_125716.jpg

Screenshot_20230507_125736.jpg

Screenshot_20230507_125804.jpg

Screenshot_20230506-181919_Ancestry.jpg

Screenshot_20230506-181902_Ancestry.jpg

Screenshot_20230506-234118_Ancestry.jpg

Edited by Anna Jaye
Incorrect information attached, now removed

welcome to the forum

i suspect the Lancashire fusilier is another man of the same name ? is the source family pictures?  Be unusual to be navy and army

Edited by Coldstreamer

20 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

welcome to the forum

i suspect the Lancashire fusilier is another man of the same name ? is the source family pictures?  Be unusual to be navy and army

Hello, thank you for pointing this out, all family photos apart from the one in uniform which has been linked to him on Ancestry... I have removed that photo and link now. I'm grateful that you have pointed this out to me. Many thanks

17 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Here is his RNR record  -  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8664611  (free TNA download).

He claimed and was issued personally with the WW1 trio of medals.

image.png.313a1b31480fb5efdd4aef7bc2c22090.png

image.png.e1895f0906922c121becb43a7364d5f4.png

Served in the RNR as an engineman from 4 November 1914 to demob in 1919.

Thank you so much, I tried to get access to the Archives last night but it was asking me to authenticate/confirm sign up via email, and I never received an email... I will keep trying. 

HMS MAGPIE II was originally MAGPIE but was re-named MAGPIE II in August 1915. She was a Hull trawler, hired by the Admiralty on 7 November 1914 for service as a minesweeper.

After fitting out for naval service at the Lowestoft base HMS HALCYON), she was transferred to Portsmouth (HMS VICTORY II) from  22 November1914. From 6 December 1914 she was moved north to operate from the Rosyth base (HMS COLUMBINE).   HMS STEPHEN FURNESS (Invergordon/Cromarty base) took over as parent ship on  19 January 1915.  MAGPIE II was parented for operations in Scottish waters by HMS THALIA from 9 March 1916, by HMS GIBRALTAR from 27 April 1918 and again by THALIA from 4 June 1918.

His DSM was earned for the calendar year 1917 when MAGPIE II would have been based on HMS THALIA at Cromarty and Peterhead.

Edited by horatio2

4 hours ago, Anna Jaye said:

Joseph was born 22 October 1874, in Garston, St Michael, Lancashire 

Born 1873 per RNR record.

13 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Born 1873 per RNR record.

Thank you again. That is correct, and matches the 1939 census plus he was baptised in 1973 so definitely not born on 74! :D

I've had to email National Archives as i still have no access.

21 hours ago, Anna Jaye said:Joseph was born 22 October 1874, in Garston, St Michael, Lancashire 

He married Elizabeth Fenwick 13 June 1896 and they had two daughters, Constance and Elizabeth. 

Anna, no doubt you already have this info - but just in case you don’t…

Marriage: 13 Jun 1896 St Peter, Fleetwood, Lancs.

Joseph Henry Helsby - 22, Engine Tenter, Bachelor, 25 Poulton Road, Fleetwood

Elizabeth Fenwick - 25, Spinster, 25 Poulton Road, Fleetwood

Groom's Father: James Thomas Helsby, Clerk

Bride's Father: Robert Fenwick, Deceased, Blacksmith

Witness: Job Eastwood; Sabina Fenwick

Married by Banns by: T P Castley, Curate

MB

8 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

Anna, no doubt you already have this info - but just in case you don’t…

Marriage: 13 Jun 1896 St Peter, Fleetwood, Lancs.

Joseph Henry Helsby - 22, Engine Tenter, Bachelor, 25 Poulton Road, Fleetwood

Elizabeth Fenwick - 25, Spinster, 25 Poulton Road, Fleetwood

Groom's Father: James Thomas Helsby, Clerk

Bride's Father: Robert Fenwick, Deceased, Blacksmith

Witness: Job Eastwood; Sabina Fenwick

Married by Banns by: T P Castley, Curate

MB

Thank you 😊 

On 07/05/2023 at 17:39, Anna Jaye said:

I've had to email National Archives as i still have no access.

I'm a bit puzzled by this, because registering to use TNA (The National Archives) from a home computer does not involve waiting for an e-mail from them. If you click on the Register link https://secure.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Login/Register and fill in the form, once that is done you simply log in using the details you used for registering and another email should not be involved.

If you have ordered something and the email has not arrived, it may be worth checking that there are no typos in your email entry on the form, as that will have caused problems (and, forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but you are definitely registering for TNA Kew, and not the US National Archives, which come up first when googling?).

Best wishes,

seaJane

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

I'm a bit puzzled by this, because registering to use TNA (The National Archives) from a home computer does not involve waiting for an e-mail from them. If you click on the Register link https://secure.nationalarchives.gov.uk/Login/Register and fill in the form, once that is done you simply log in using the details you used for registering and another email should not be involved.

If you have ordered something and the email has not arrived, it may be worth checking that there are no typos in your email entry on the form, as that will have caused problems (and, forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but you are definitely registering for TNA Kew, and not the US National Archives, which come up first when googling?).

Best wishes,

seaJane

Hi, half a dozen 'welcome to NA' came through after the BH weekend, it seems there must have been a delay/glitch that weekend. I've not had chance to get on and look at any records yet but I should be fine now. 

3 hours ago, Anna Jaye said:

I should be fine now. 

Good! I wasn't on the computer much then so missed the glitch. Happy hunting.

sJ