Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Army Service Record Middlesex regiment

Steff Jacks

Can anyone help to decipher this handwriting? Especially what it says for 27/5/16.

This is a service record for Private Albert Allen who was killed in the Somme. 

Any help appreciated. Thanks

AlbertAllen.jpg.2b0a76e5735297ede50b2c38b3e86791.jpg

• Admin

6/5/16 

96 (CP)FA Adm (admitted) 96 (CP) F(field) Ambulance 

27/5/16

97 (CP) FA (Field Ambulance) Adm) admitted 97 (CP) F (field) Ambulance.

To 30 DR (divisional rest?)station. I don’t know what CP is I’m afraid. 
Looks like he was suffering from otitis media (middle ear infection)

CP is probably County Palatine which I though was Lancaster but it may be more complicated than that!

TEW

6 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I don’t know what CP is I’m afraid. 

Collecting Post, I think.

Acknown

Addition: Wrong. County Palatine it is: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/the-evacuation-chain-for-wounded-and-sick-soldiers/field-ambulances-in-the-first-world-war/.

Edited by Acknown

Just to mention that the date in the left column is the date the incident was written up by the officer in charge - sometimes days or weeks after the actual incident, the date of which is recorded in the 5th column (usually titled "Date of Casualty". "Casualty" meaning incident/transfer/admission to hospital, not specifically a war casualty...

So this man was admitted to 97 (C.P.) Field Ambulance on 23/5/16, and transferred to 30th D.R Station on 25/5/16.

Both incidents were written up by the officer I/C on 27/5/16

In my experience, it is unusual to have an incident written up on the day it occurred, although it happens 3 times in this man's record.

Just for info, 30th Divisional Rest Station was set up by 96th Field Ambulance on 15 May 1916, located at grid reference J.24.b.8.6* and located with the Main Dressing Station.

*NE of Sailly-le-Sec

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

Just for info, 30th Divisional Rest Station was set up by 96th Field Ambulance on 15 May 1916, located at grid reference J.24.b.8.6* and located with the Main Dressing Station.

*NE of Sailly-le-Sec

@Chris_Baker Thanks for this info! Muh appreciated

On 06/05/2023 at 21:34, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Just to mention that the date in the left column is the date the incident was written up by the officer in charge - sometimes days or weeks after the actual incident, the date of which is recorded in the 5th column (usually titled "Date of Casualty". "Casualty" meaning incident/transfer/admission to hospital, not specifically a war casualty...

So this man was admitted to 97 (C.P.) Field Ambulance on 23/5/16, and transferred to 30th D.R Station on 25/5/16.

Both incidents were written up by the officer I/C on 27/5/16

In my experience, it is unusual to have an incident written up on the day it occurred, although it happens 3 times in this man's record.

Thanks for the help with this!