Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Scully, 21st Lancers and 9th Lancers

hen190782

Good Day

I have been sent this photo of Joseph Scully who served with 21st Lancers (L/11729) in India and the BWM Medal Roll records that he was discharged on 3rd March 1919 to re-enlist with Lancers (L/20310). The pension ledger card records 9th Lancers.

The family believe that he was part of the 21st Lancers Service Squadron which became XIV Corps Cavalry Regiment and that he fought at the Somme in 1916.

I feel sure that the first medal ribbon is the British War Medal but the second does not look right for a Victory Medal ribbon.

In addition to information on the second medal ribbon,  would be grateful for confirmation of the Lancer unit to which the cap badge relates, and details on the shoulder insignia.

Looking forward to seeing the replies.

Regards

Nigel

joseph scully close up 2.jpg

joseph scully close up 3.jpg

Middle Third 26 - Scully, Joseph, Medal Index Card.jpg

Middle Third 26 - Scully, Joseph, Pension Card 1.jpg

Middle Third 26 - Scully, Joseph, BWM Roll.jpg

2 hours ago, hen190782 said:

would be grateful for confirmation of the Lancer unit to which the cap badge relates

I'm pretty sure that the collar badge is for the 21st Lancers

12 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

I'm pretty sure that the collar badge is for the 21st Lancers

Thanks, Allan :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

Definitely XXI Lancers collar dogs and shoulder titles

Thanks for the confirmation.

2 hours ago, hen190782 said:

but the second does not look right for a Victory Medal ribbon.

Both the Medal Rolls and the Medal Index Card show only the BWM was awarded - he did not receive the VM

Just now, Allan1892 said:

Both the Medal Rolls and the Medal Index Card show only the BWM was awarded - he did not receive the VM

Yep, that is what I found, but there is second medal ribbon in the photograph ... possibly an India General Service Medal?

That is the only one that I can think of. I have tried to compare the ribbon on a medal to the one on the photograph but can't say for sure.

3 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

That is the only one that I can think of. I have tried to compare the ribbon on a medal to the one on the photograph but can't say for sure.

Same here, Afghanistan 1919 may appear to be the obvious if it is indeed the IGSM

Here below is a pair of collar badges as are being worn in the photo.  The shoulder title is the simple 21L that was adopted in 1907.  The regiment was unique in having the cypher of Queen Victoria as an additional feature on the shoulder strap of the regiment’s full dress tunic.  As the line cavalry regiment with which Queen Victoria was most closely associated the regiment’s NCOs also had a special silver arm badge of her cypher surmounted by a stylised representation of the St Edward’s Crown representing her reign.  The 21st were the regiment that Winston Churchill accompanied during its famous charge at the Battle of Omdurman.

IMG_7731.jpeg

IMG_7735.jpeg

IMG_7732.jpeg

IMG_7730.jpeg

IMG_7733.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE