Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown action (?) of 1/7 Battalion, Essex Regiment, on May 13th 1918, near Majdal Yaba

Eran Tearosh

I'm preparing an article about the May 1918 activities in the Majdal Yaba area, today new neighborhoods in the eastern parts of Rosh HaAyin (Near Petach Tikva). This area was held mainly by the 54th Division. During May 1918 there were several events there, mostly involving the 1/5 Essex.

Yesterday I visited the Ramle War Cemetery and walked to the headstone of Private J. S. Wheeldon of the 1/5 Essex that was killed on May 13th. I found quite a lot of info about this event.

To My surprise, I found next to him another headstone carrying the same date of death, of Private G.A. Gibbs, of the 1/7 Essex. I found nothing of their involvement in the activities during this date and of course no mention of casualties. Because the two headstones are next to each other, it's more than likely that the fallen were brought to Ramle together, from their first burial site near Majdal Yaba.

image.jpeg.b4f8cb8e63be3d7cea67a3975050b6be.jpeg

Of course, all these are assumptions, but it seems that during that very active night (May 13th,1918) for the 1/5 Essex, something else was happening nearby, involving the 1/7th Essex. Found nothing in their book. CWGC's records don't help much.

Does anyone have the 1/7th Essex war diary for this period? Or details about the circumstances of Gibbs's death?

Eran

• Admin
13 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Does anyone have the 1/7th Essex war diary for this period? Or details about the circumstances of Gibbs's death?

The only WD I can find has not been digitised. WO 95/4651 Link; https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557804

There is an online list of casualties from the 1/5th Essex, several on the 13th May. Link; https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/03/with-15th-essex-in-east-appendices.html It is from a book (no online copy I can find) 'With the 1/5th Essex in the East' written by Col T Gibbons DSO.

Nothing with regard to the 1/7th is showing up for me.

Best Wishes, Bob.

Thanks Bob!

I have a copy of 'With the 1/5th Essex in the East' by Lt-.Col. T. Gibbons and I wholeheartedly agree it's a fine book!

I also have a copy of The Essex Regiment (I think it's Vol. 5), Essex Territorial Infantry Brigade (4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th Battalions), by John Burrows. These battalions formed together The Essex Brigade of the 54th Division, later numbered 161 Brigade. The relevant part for 1/7 for May 1918 gives very few details. 

If someone has a hard copy of the /7th Essex war diary for May 1918 - the answer should probably be there. Did this battalion publish a book of their own? 

Eran

Note this development on a parallel post:

This indicates that we are indeed dealing with an unknown action of the 1/7 Essex, on May 13th, 1918.