Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Aboukir crew photos

pjjobson

My wife is researching her family history and one of her great uncles was a stoker on HMS Aboukir who was lost when she was sunk in 1914.

Does anyone know if there are any crew photos, specifically stokers, from this period?

Many thanks

My wife's paternal grandfather, Thomas Wilkinson) was a Stoker on HMS Britannia and for years she searched for a photograph (attached) and about 8 years ago, she was successful -- she is sure that she found it on Find My Past. I have just tried to replicate her search on Find My Past (I also tried Ancestry) but I failed to come up with the goods. There are images 'out there' but it is a bit of 'hit and miss'.

Thomas William Wilkinson.jpg

Thank you, we have a photo, similar to yours which we believe is him.  Hoping to find some more.

Are you after crew photos of the stokers of the Aboukir, or general ones?

Many of the crew of the Aboukir were either recalled reservists or boy sailors so there may not have been many opportunities for such photos to be taken.

There are a few individuals photographed on this old thread

And if your wifes great uncle was a recalled reservist it could also be worthwhile looking for contemporary pictures of stokers aboard the ships he served on pre-war.

Could be worthwhile giving us a name and then seeing what the brains trust that is the forum can turn up:)

Cheers,
Peter

Peter

many thanks for the suggestion, he was Stoker 1st class Horace Coker.  He was indeed a recalled reservist.

Phil

24 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

His ADM service doc is available here…

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7088505

Joined the navy as a short service stoker (5+7) in June 1906, transferred to  RFR 1911, and recalled in 1914.

MB

Many thanks for the link, much appreciated