Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jellicoe's report for New Zealand 1919 (seeking copy of aviation section)

Errol Martyn

Hello,

Wondering if anyone here can assist me with a copy (or reference) of the naval aviation section of Jellicoe's 1919 report to the New Zealand Government.

Have checked the ArchivesNZ catalogue but found it to be unhelpful in this respect.

TIA,

Errol

Many thanks MartH, much appreciated and just what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Errol

On reading (presumably Volume I of) the report, while there is mention here and there of aircraft there is also, under item 33, reference to 'The subject of aircraft to work in conjunction with the Naval Forces is treated in Chapter II of Volume II.' Does anyone know where a copy of this Volume II might be found online?

TIA,

Errol

I am unsure about  Volume II, it may be: Report of Admiral of the Fleet Viscount Jellicoe of Scapa on Naval Mission to the Dominion of Canada. ALas I can't find it online.

Or Volumes of Australia

You may find it here Jellico Papers

Errol

Not the NZ one but the Aus version is here: https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/Jellicoe of Scapa Vol II _opt.pdf

It seems the same format for each volume was used across Canada, NZ, Aus so perhaps there is generic information here that may be of assistance

Andrew

Edit:  I cannot find a Canada vol 2 to compare wording but the Aus wording is clearly not specific to the Australian navy so hopefully this is indeed consistent with NZ version

Edit - just realised Mart H had already link ed to the Aus ones.  Apologies for duplication

Edited by aconnolly

Many thanks for your help, Gents.

I couldn't find Vol II (NZ) amongst the Jellicoe papers, but I probably need to take another look at them as there is such a wealth of material there; who knew that the war at sea was mostly fought on paper and not at sea!

Perhaps only by visiting ArchivesNZ in Wellington will the elusive Vol II about NZ be found.

Cheers,

Errol

So the orginal drafts are still extant in the British library manuscript collection https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/archives/1259bae6-379b-34aa-9f81-ad61710d2584?component=0c6320cc-5b44-3183-89d4-ff9aa21ad144&terms=New Zealand. There were 3 voulumes produced in all.

Many thanks once again, MartH.

British Library next stop!

Cheers,

Errol

It is indeed, good find!

Many thanks indeed for the 'free copy' link, Simon.

Free is always most acceptable!

Once again, many thanks to all you Gents for your help in tracking down this item. I'm fairly well informed about the air aspect of WWI but pretty much all-at-sea when it comes to naval matters.

Cheers,

Errol