Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Main drowned 20 July 1917

BarbaraG

• BarbaraG changed the title to John Main drowned 20 July 1917

A surprisingly large number of trawlers were attached to the 10th Cruiser Squadron (Northern Patrol), I remember seeing the figure a while ago, but I can’t now recall the exact number. In any case, they didn’t receive the recognition that they deserve, as much of what is written focusses exclusively on the armed merchant cruisers.

MB

28 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

In any case, they didn’t receive the recognition that they deserve, as much of what is written focusses exclusively on the armed merchant cruisers.

MB

I totally agree with you.

Chatterton in his "The Big Blockade" (p.279) summarises as follows:

"From August 1914 to the end of 1917 the 10th Cruiser Squadron intercepted 8,905 ships, sent 1,816 into port under armed guard, and boarded 4,520 fishing craft. Its strength never exceeded 25 armed merchant cruisers, plus 18 armed trawlers, but frequently the force was much les than this. Its losses ... were considerable, a dozen units [named AMCs] going to the bottom, togther with the two trawlers THOMAS STRATTON and ROBERT SMITH."

On the subject of the loss of ROBERT SMITH,  I note that, although she was reported as last sighted by HMT OFFA II at 3.30 am on 21 JUly 1917, he date of loss (CWGC et al) is the previous day, 20 July. 

Edited by horatio2

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

"Its losses ... were considerable, a dozen units [named AMCs] going to the bottom, togther with the two trawlers THOMAS STRATTON and ROBERT SMITH."

Trying to identify the dozen AMC’s of the 10th Cruiser Squadron sent to the bottom, and can’t quite reach that total.

According to what I know, we have…

OCEANIC ran aground and wrecked 8.9.14.

VIKNOR mined and sunk 13.1.15 (SMS Berlin?)

CLAN McNAUGHTON foundered in storm, 3.2.15.

BAYANO torpedoed and sunk 11.3.15. (U-27)

INDIA torpedoed and sunk  8.8.15. (U-22)

ALCANTARA sunk by gunfire 29.2.16. (in action with SMS Greif)

HILARY torpedoed and sunk 25.5.17. (U-88)

AVENGER torpedoed and sunk 14.6.17. (U-69)

OTWAY torpedoed and sunk 22.7.17. (UC-49)

That makes nine AMC’s in total, have I missed any? (I’m only counting ships actually serving with the 10th Cruiser Squadron at the time they were lost).

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Although Chatterton quotes  "a dozen units" he only names ten: your nine plus "finally" HMS CHAMPAGNE, torpedoed 9 October 1917. I think (he is a bit vague) that he is also including HMS HAWKE, 15 October 1914.

Edited by horatio2