Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maps of German exploded mines

Beagle Boy

Hi all.

Might be a long shot but. 
I am interest to find out if there are any maps or records of locations of underground mines detonated buy the Germans. I particularly interested in Ploegsteert area. This could be the missing parts and answers to the information in my research.

(Apart from the obvious graters in the landscape.) Would the British and the Germans noted these locations. 

Many Thanks

James

Many trench maps show mine craters, here is an example, but usually not who created them. Many do not show craters and "crater" does not feature in map metadata, so searching becomes a methodical look at many maps for a given point. TrenchMapper allows you to do that, i.e. centre on a location and skim through many maps.

In addition, I would look at Beneath Flanders Fields by Peter Barton, Peter Doyle and Johan Vandewalle. The authors show a great deal of the allied and German mining effort and also list other sources you could look at that may help.

Howard

tm1.jpg

James

I note your interest is in 174 TC. 

A lot of the RE TC War Diaries contain Weekly Mining Reports, some of which give the locations of British and German "Blows". I no longer have my downloads so I can not say which ones would help. 

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all thank you for all the tips. Ill try and get hold of the RE diaries and have a good read through. 

Funny enough I already have copy of Beneath Flanders Fields. Only had a quick skim through it. 😆. Im going to have a proper read through.