Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"2nd. A.S.D." RFC - information requested

clive_hughes

Hi folks,

Checking the service record of an Anglesey man (a Joiner by civil trade), he served in France from late 1917 as an AC 2 RFC (& RAF),  a "Rigger (Aero)" by formal trade, with the "2nd ASD".  However he also appears in the local Absent Voters Lists June 1918 as "2nd Section 1st ASD Repair Park RAF" then June 1919 as "2nd Section ASD Repair Park".   

The flying services not being my main research field, can someone please briefly explain for me the type of work he might have done, and if possible what was the "2 ASD" and where it was located?

Many thanks,

Clive 

Edited by clive_hughes
Updated details

44 minutes ago, clive_hughes said:

Hi folks,

Checking the service record of an Anglesey man (a Joiner by civil trade), he served in France from late 1917 as an AC 2 RFC (& RAF),  a "Rigger (Aero)" by formal trade, with the "2nd ASD".  However he also appears in the local Absent Voters Lists June 1918 as "2nd Section 1st ASD Repair Park RAF" then June 1919 as "2nd Section ASD Repair Park".   

The flying services not being my main research field, can someone please briefly explain for me the type of work he might have done, and if possible what was the "2 ASD" and where it was located?

Many thanks,

Clive 

Hi

The best book on this subject is 'The Bridge to Airpower' by Peter Dye, this is based on his PhD Theses which should be available at the Birmingham University eTheses Repository.  The Appendix B has the following:

Image_20230502_0001.jpg.71f2489cab3f2ccd642df09927033ece.jpg

He could have been involved in working for one of the many sections within the organisation.

Mike

But for 'Airplane' read 'Aeroplane' (ie Aeroplane Supply Depot) - the book's publishers were catering for the American market rather than the real world!

Cheers,

Errol

Thank you both very much for that information,  I feel duly enlightened!

Clive