Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serre to Hebuterne/Gommecourt legal cross country route?

EAST YORKSHIRE

Just wondering if anyone can help on experience of getting from Serre to Hebuterne/Gommecourt using Cross Country tracks, keeping away from the roads? Thanks in advance,Ian. P.S, I am aware of of the Farmer at Serre.

• Admin

Is it main roads you are looking to avoid, or all roads? The road past Touvent  Farm is quiet. I will be walking in that area next week with any luck. All my paper maps are somewhat out of date, so I’ve been looking on Google Earth. 

I use the IGN site where you can find all the 1:25 maps for France. At this scale, you can see farmers’ access paths (marked in black) and departmental roads and tracks. I think it will also give your GPS location when you’re out in the field. Look up Géoportail in your App Store. It’s free. 

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

Richard

Michelle-we are also there next week, might bump into you, I have done the Touvent road before, just wanted to be away from any roads. We are walking from Hamel to Serre to Gommecourt and back. Always had to split into two up to now, thanks,Ian.

13 minutes ago, Ancre1917 said:

I use the IGN site where you can find all the 1:25 maps for France. At this scale, you can see farmers’ access paths (marked in black) and departmental roads and tracks. I think it will also give your GPS location when you’re out in the field. Look up Géoportail in your App Store. It’s free. 

https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/carte

Richard

Thanks Richard, will study it tonight, Ian.

• Admin

In that area Thursday, walking around La Boisselle and Fricourt Wednesday. 

I’ve just tried the link I posted earlier and it’s not working. It’s probably best to download the app, register and go from there. I use the Carte topographique IGN as they show paths, including the sentiers de Grande Randonnée (long distance) and shorter local routes. These are both waymarked  

Richard

Just had a quick look at the area on Géoportail and there is a route (GRP and PR) from Hamel to la ferme Bauwin near Touvent  

Richard

7 minutes ago, Ancre1917 said:

Just had a quick look at the area on Géoportail and there is a route (GRP and PR) from Hamel to la ferme Bauwin near Touvent  

Richard

Thanks Richard, will have a look when I get home from work..no chance looking at my phone! Ian.