Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uppingham School a Dilemma

wet255

Dear all, can you message me your names for the acknowledgement section of the book many thanks 

16 hours ago, corisande said:

• Northern Rhodesia between 1906 and 1910. He served as a District Commissioner at a place in Barotseland (now Western Province of Zambia).
  • He resigned from the Colonial Service in 1910 after it was found out he had children with a local woman

It appears at this period Northern Rhodesia was not a British colony as such, but was administered by a Company called the British South Africa Company https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_South_Africa_Company

There was a publication of this company called  the British South Africa Company Government Gazette which seems to be available at the British Library BLL01000478532 which possibly may have information in it about Heblethwaite's appointments in Northern Rhodesia, although  there is the possibility the publication may have been more focused on Southern Rhodesia.

Maureen

5 minutes ago, MaureenE said:

It appears at this period Northern Rhodesia was not a British colony as such, but was administered by a Company called the British South Africa Company

Thanks Maureen. That probably explains the nomenclature - Native Commissioner instead of District Commissioner. I struggled with the acronyms , and never worked out what BSAC actually was

27 minutes ago, MaureenE said:

It appears at this period Northern Rhodesia was not a British colony as such, but was administered by a Company called the British South Africa Company

Which would explain nicely why in the 1905 passenger list I found him on he is described as being with the B S A Police.

Edited to add that according to his entry in this nominal roll, he attested with the British South Africa Police on 28 July 1905, and departed on 3 May 1907. If you type "Heblethwaite in the search box at the bottom you should find him.

https://www.bsapolice.org/members/nominal-roll/

Edited by Tawhiri

I’m calling Uppingham Tuesday to get some post Trinity info and I hope a photo fingers crossed 

I started a thread on the Sub Saharan Africa forum, and someone came up with a war diary entry which says (the original is on the other thread)

Apr 7 - An action between British & German frontier patrols in German territory at Maio Kaleh south of Numan. Lt Hebblethwaite in command of the British patrol attacked the German patrol occupying an entrenched position - the attack failed and the British Commander was killed

The other info above suggests a 30 man patrol

One wonders if he had any training in military skills !

Yes I was wondering that he was an engineer by profession with little time for training