Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LSGC Medal Roll - 1913+

(nzef)

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if the LGSC Medal Roll (1913+) is available online. I located WO-102-17  in the National Archives site but this only covers up to 1912. I'm looking for confirmation of a Royal Dublin Fusiliers LSGC to 5179 Thomas Ryan.

Edit - I've searched WO-102 but found no entry. His service file states LSGC +Gratuity..

Cheers

Edited by (nzef)
add more detail

3 hours ago, (nzef) said:

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if the LGSC Medal Roll (1913+) is available online. I located WO-102-17  in the National Archives site but this only covers up to 1912.

It is available online and you need WO 102/18.  Link is here… https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1897677

Steve

Not sure if this snippet is helpful to others or not...

We recently got a copy of a WWI service record and were puzzled by a difficult to read note "Yxz medal"

We've got his original medals, knew what the others were for but had to search to work out one was the naval Long Service and Good Conduct medal awarded after 15years survival since enlistment.

He joined on 18/3/1908

It must say "Years medal" 15/4/23, so presumably that was the jargon used on records instead of 'LSGC' ?

We were impressed with how on-the-ball their systems were!

received_699696968572075.jpeg

Edited by Caren

"Traced medal" is the standard wording recorded on the rating's Statement of Service, to demonstrate the LSGC medal to be awarded was verified for eligibility, then issued. RN LSGC medal rolls, as recorded by the Admiralty, commence from 1912 onwards.

On 29/04/2023 at 22:02, (nzef) said:

Edit - I've searched WO-102 but found no entry. His service file states LSGC +Gratuity..

Cheers

When you download the file for free, what you are getting are image files. There is no transcription.

Upon finding the right page, you will see that he (5179 Ryan, T, Private, Royal Dublin Fusiliers) was awarded the LSGC, and that he and other recipients were listed in Army Order 117 of 1913. The second (and final) batch of LSGC recipients for that year are listed in Army Order 333 of 1913.

There are transcribed Army LSGC rolls on FindMyPast for a certain time period. I think it is 1898 to 1921. The hybrid service of Fold 3/FWR also has transcribed Army LSGC rolls. This covers a wider time period. I am unsure whether this runs up to 1949 or to 1975.

If you are a paid-up member of the OMRS, their transcribed dataset offering is an incomplete range of Army Orders etc running from the 1860s to the 2000s.
I do not have any financial ties to the OMRS
https://www.omrs.org/join-the-omrs