Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Railway Guns

Guest MezMuz45

Guest MezMuz45

Hello! my name is christopher, i am new here and i am 14 years old...

I am thinking of taking History for my Options in a few months. I get good grades in history, and i want to keep that going. I am doing an essay right now on 19th & 20th century warfare, comparing the 2 centuries and showing how greatly war had advanced in 100 years. What with better weaponry, more thoughtful war methods etc.

Anyway, i have been looking everywhere for information on "French Railway Guns". I know, from lessons in class that they could fire a 900kg shell over 16m (10 miles) but thats about all i know... if ANYBODY has ANY more information on French Railway guns it would be MUCH appreciated!

Thank you for taking your time to read my post!

Chris :D

Heres my email address- pulchritudinous_farceur@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks!

Hi Chris,

What a wonderful choice of subject you have made, well done.

Now , why only french railway guns?? The British also had similar mounts which would probalbly be easier to find info on.

Also your comparisons between 19th century and 20th century need to be carefully considered as the changes became quite rapid and you may find the similarities too great in the later part of the 19th century. My opinion only there of course.

Anyway, welcome to the forum and every success with this essay, I am sure you will have an abundance of assistance form this mob.

Roop

Hi Chris

There is some useful information in Ian Hogg's book 'Allied Artillery of World War One' (ISBN 1 86126 104 7), which is now available in paperback. He describes the various calibre guns and howitzers, right up to the 'we can do better than the Germans' 52cm mortar.

Books like this contain technical information and pictures. It may be that you wish to consider why railway guns were developed at all (there is some information about this in Hogg's book) and what role they came to play in battles, alongside their horse- and tractor-drawn cousins.

Robert

Guest MezMuz45

Thanks For your help everyone. I will have a look for a copy of that book at bookends on the weekend, see if i can swipe some info! ;)

Chris :D

Hello,

The best of luck with your project. A couple of points you should note:

The artillery weapon is the shell, not the gun, and

Big guns like railway mounted ones shoot a long way. Without accurate maps and other means of finding out the range to the target thay are not accurate. The improvements in survey and methods of location of targets in WW1 were a striking advance from the previous century.

The British put a 12 incn naval gun on a railway mounting in early 1918, it could shoot a 850 lb shell 31,550 yards

Old Tom