Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Central Powers War medaillon

OttomanSipahi

Hi all, i am new to the forum. İ hope it isn't rude to start right off with a help question?

İ am collecting WW1 Central Powers badges, pins and medals. İ have bought one from eBay but apart from the text and the 4 Kaiser Bund portrets i have difficulty in identifying the commanders on the opposite side of the medal.

İt looks like Conrad von Hötzendorf? Von Mackensen? The Bulgarian general could ve Toshev? And the Ottoman Hilmi Pasha? İ am sure there are experts here who can help me.

İ have searched the internet but failed to find a source on this medal. İt is a big medal about 33mm diameter. Screenshot_2023-04-22-10-10-57-24_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg.02d8e5559122bf3579db807456b857e4.jpgScreenshot_2023-04-22-10-10-57-24_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg.02d8e5559122bf3579db807456b857e4.jpgScreenshot_2023-04-22-10-10-39-52_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg.adb25c8fb7051f07921822c9732d2ce7.jpg

"Egyesult erovel" is Hungarian for "shoulder to shoulder".

I would guess it is an Austro-hungarian medal commemorating an alliance of some sort, but how official it is I wouldn't like to say.

aim

The faces side i know it is Franz Joseph, Wilhelm, Ottoman Sultan Mehmed Reşad and Bulgarian king Ferdinand. But the other side with th standing officers i have no clue. Viribus Unitis is a common used slogan bu the Austrian-Hungarians

no ...... but here's one with a ribbon on ......

i-vilaghaborus-egyesult-erovel-1914-1916-patriota-kituntetes-r-060c_1_big.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

6 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

İ searched on Google for similar medals with some kind of explanation but no luck. İ did find some like your example.

The four standing guys certainly aint the kaisers or kings. Thats for sure.

4 hours ago, TullochArd said:

The ribbon this medal is attached to is the same design as the Austro-Hungarian 1873 War Medal in the traditional Hapsburg colours of Black & Yellow, so wether its a reuse of the the same design by the Austrians in 1916 or a mismatch following issue by the holder or subsequent owner.....

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RELAWM14760?image=1

Edited by travers61

online searches show the same medal (without ribbon) with the standing images named as Franz Joseph, Wilhelm, Bulgarian king Ferdinand & Ottoman Sultan Mehmed Reşad.

The person second from left as we look at it could be Wilhelm.  He was often photographed with his disabled left arm resting on his sword to disguise the disability, and I think I can see upturned edges to the moustache as he had.

If they are the four rulers its not a good artists impression compared to the portrait side and maybe just a bad copy/casting of the original design.

41 minutes ago, travers61 said:

online searches show the same medal (without ribbon) with the standing images named as Franz Joseph, Wilhelm, Bulgarian king Ferdinand & Ottoman Sultan Mehmed Reşad.

The person second from left as we look at it could be Wilhelm.  He was often photographed with his disabled left arm resting on his sword to disguise the disability, and I think I can see upturned edges to the moustache as he had.

If they are the four rulers its not a good artists impression compared to the portrait side and maybe just a bad copy/casting of the original design.

You might be right.. the second resembles Wilhelm. Ferdinand of Bulgaria is way of. So goes for Franz Joseph, looks more like his war minister Conrad von Hötzendorf. As for the Ottoman figure, it looks more like Yusuf İzzeddin, the heir of the Ottoman throne :D

Thanks man.

9 hours ago, travers61 said:

The medal is a zinc commemorative type similar to "souvenir" items found in UK.  I agree that the representations on the back are poor but still feel they most likely representations of the Gang of Four accurately identified above and shown on the obverse.  If this is the case the artist's impression of all four waistlines, particularly in the case of Mehmed Reşad, is unarguably grossly inaccurate. 

I'm with you on your i.d. of the ribbon on the additional example as being official and would add that there should be no way an official medal ribbon would be tolerated on this type of commemorative medal at the time.  A spurious photo added on my part.

Central Powers Leaders 1915.jpg

Edited by TullochArd