Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Wipers Times - An Exposé

Robert StJohn Smith

The Wipers Time is the best known of the trench papers that appeared in the First World War with its story immortalised in the 2013 BBC Film of the same name, based on the stage play written by PrivateEye editor Ian Hislop and cartoonist Nick Newman. My research has uncovered that one of the writers on The Wipers Times was not in France at the Front, but was actually Dorothy V. Hall (1881-1962), a pianist and writer from Nottingham. This is a story that is still being written, but one that involves the Wipers’ relationship with Tatler magazine – a writer who used the non-de-plume Sabretache introduced Dorothy to the Wipers staff.

Details on Dorothy’s life are scarce: she was head girl at Nottingham Girls High School, a Licentiate of the Royal Academy of Music, and lived in Ruddington. Her brother, Henry Cecil Hall (1885-1970), maybe the key to unlocking her past. He was a well-known art expert in Nottingham, wrote for several newspapers in the area, and consulted for Nottingham Castle. My full write up can be read here. https://robertstjohnsmith.com/post/2023-04-27-the-wipers-times-tatler-and-the-identity-of-violet-from-violet-s-chronicle-of-fashion-an-expos/

• 1 month later...

Amongst the contributors to the 'W.T' and its successors was Captain Patch, M.O. to 8th Queen's. Two of the characters in the Sherlock Holmes spoof series are inspired by then Brigadier General Bertram Mitford and his Brigade Major- Captain Oliver Sutton-Nelthorpe (see 'The real "General Mitford"', as discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Michael

On 03/06/2023 at 11:13, EastSurrey said:

Amongst the contributors to the 'W.T' and its successors was Captain Patch, M.O. to 8th Queen's. Two of the characters in the Sherlock Holmes spoof series are inspired by then Brigadier General Bertram Mitford and his Brigade Major- Captain Oliver Sutton-Nelthorpe (see 'The real "General Mitford"', as discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Michael

Another name to add to the growing list, thankyou. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Part four; 

The identity of the Printer and the location of the Presses –– parts five and six- are coming soon as this has opened a floodgate of new leads.

https://robertstjohnsmith.com/post/2023-09-02-the-wipers-times-expos-the-printer-and-the-presses/

Edited by Robert StJohn Smith

Fantastically interesting articles Robert, positively reeking of the period and subject that they describe.  Thank you for sharing them with us here in the forum.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Robert StJohn Smith said:

Part Five. 

If you think you own a complete series of the Wipers Times, then think again. 

The Actor,  Avesnes, and the Forgotten Evening Edition of the Wipers 

https://robertstjohnsmith.com/post/the-missing-edition-of-the-wipers-times/

Very evocative of those times Robert and I can totally see why this is a passion for you.  You’re finding so much new information that I’m wondering if you might publish a book about it.  I understand that paperbacks are not so expensive ways to get a small print run going and I think there would be some interest.

Edited by FROGSMILE