Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was a 'Trimmer Cook'?

Acknown

I'm researching the minesweeping trawler HMT 1137 (Corona). Does anyone know the duties of a 'Trimmer Cook'? 

Acknown

Wot it says on the tin. He combined the duties of trimmer (= stoker) and chef. Best use of the limited crew in a fishing boat. More than 1,200 RNR ratings were so employed in boats of the Auxiliary Patrol. It is to be hoped that he washed his hands before taking over the galley.

13 minutes ago, Acknown said:

Does anyone know the duties of a 'Trimmer Cook'?

On a small trawler I would think most crew likely had multiple roles.

I'm somewhat guessing ... as a Trimmer - crew member moving coal from the main hold towards feeding the steam engine boiler [i.e. trimming, also to distribute the load of the coal - a stoker/fireman would then feed the fire I believe]

and as a Cook - crew member cooking for and feeding the crew.

M

Edit: I see Horatio has just similarly answered - too slow M, too slow!

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

Am I right, Horatio, in thinking that stoker and trimmer are not equivalent jobs?

Edited by PhilB

Born in Liverpool many years ago, when I was young I had many conversations with some old ex sailors, Royal Navy and Merchant Navy.

They described Trimmers as being employed to keep coal and later oil storage level/equal so as not to affect the "trim" of the vessel.

Many thanks. Fastest solutions I have experienced! The sailor is TC123 Frederick Hall who was killed when the vessel went down in 1916. Could you decipher this record extract:

HALL3.JPG.b380e87eeaf00371b65f423eef871a0d.JPG

What's the first destination?

Acknown

4 minutes ago, derekb said:

They described Trimmers as being employed to keep coal and later oil storage level/equal so as not to affect the "trim" of the vessel.

Also to avoid fires in the coal stack as may have happened in Titanic?

Although the RNR listed both Stokers and Trimmers, the Stokers tended to be employed alongside RN Stokers in warships. RNR Trimmers were, broadly, the the eqivalent to Stokers but were employed stoking and trimming in trawlers and drifters in which there was insufficient room to carry both Stokers and Trimmers. The RNR rating of Trimmer was brought forward from the Fishing Fleeet and Mercantile Marine. The RN  did not have a Trimmer rating.

In terms of the work they carried out they can be considered equivalent.

Edited by horatio2

The hired Grimsby trawler HMS CORONA was taken up by the Admiralty on 24 February 1915 and was fitted out for naval service as a patrol vessel at the Lowestoft base. HMS HALCYON.  On 21 March 1915 she was transferred to the Ramsgate base, HMS CETO.

CORONA, hired trawler, Adty No 1137. Built 1912, 212grt, Grimsby-reg GY.684. Armament: 1-6pdr, 1-2pdr. In service 2.15-3.16. Mined 23.3.16 near Ramsgate.

34 minutes ago, Acknown said:

What's the first destination?

It would appear that, as  Grimsby RNR District rating, he was employed/trained at the Grimsby base from his enrolment in October 1914 until he was drafted down to Lowestift to man CORONA and sail her down to Ramsgate. There she operated in the local armed defence flotilla until striking a mine laid by UC.6 off Ramsgate with the loss of thirteen crew..

Thanks Horatio, I now have all I need.

Acknown

No I haven't. Here's his pension entry (FOLD3 via WFA). Can you translate? 25/- awarded and seemingly three payments made.

HALL4.JPG.2aa2fa9372d11142c2906c4532cef680.JPG

HALL5.JPG.4352416ee34b0184dc4b4df7274f5be8.JPG

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

So three payments only, then ceased?

Acknown

I may be wrong but if the widow re-marries I think the pension might be stopped.  Or wait for an expert to come along who knows more than me.

Thanks, but she didn't remarry.

Acknown

4 hours ago, Acknown said:

Here's his pension entry (FOLD3 via WFA). Can you translate? 25/- awarded and seemingly three payments made.

HALL4.JPG.2aa2fa9372d11142c2906c4532cef680.JPG

HALL5.JPG.4352416ee34b0184dc4b4df7274f5be8.JPG

The full image of the page at WFA with his widow and children's details offers the solution:

The date of birth of his widow [31 August 1873 = aged 43 in 1916] especially helps a lot:

12/6 pw [widow aged 35-45y]

5/0 pw [1st child]]

3/6 pw [2nd child]

2/0 pw [3rd child]

2/0 pw [4th child]

= 25/0 pw

Children's allowances up to them reaching age of 16

The additional page annotation in red from 1924 indicates a[nother?] file opened then - I would hypothesise/surmise that this was at the time the youngest child reached 16 in that year [1 Oct 24].

2 hours ago, Acknown said:

So three payments only, then ceased?

The page available is only a partial record, and the expected main pension file would have the fuller details [sadly the file most likely lost/deliberately destroyed once its use was ended] - so I would suspect likely many more payments until the claim finally ceased when the children and widow no longer eligible [if she didn't remarry or otherways lose it then her pension likely to her death - as few widows gave them up voluntarily!].

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

That's really helpful, thank you. NOW I have everything I need.

Acknown