Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just Back……..

uxbull

Whistle stop long weekend tour of the Salient and the Somme, not been for a while surprised how much has changed and how many new memorials I hadn’t seen.

Couple of shout outs.  Varlet Farm, as always, sublime.  (8 big lads and I think we have the beer fridge a good run for its money)…..Down on the Somme can recommend Chavasse Farm and Fairbanks next door.

Eateries, Au Miroir in Ypres, Le Bistrot in Albert and Central in Peronne all used for the first time and would recommend all 3.

I think the Last Post ceremony does lose something g being on the ramparts but it is what it is and still attracted a huge crowd.IMG_5630.jpeg.19601cbda43c8ad17dad181630d997f0.jpegIMG_5593.jpeg.f7268c906c34278ef00913f777756787.jpeg

I think the Last Post ceremony does lose something g being on the ramparts but it is what it is and still attracted a huge crowd.

?? Have I missed something? (forgive me my ignorance if the whole world knows why..) :D

1 hour ago, Sapper D. said:

I think the Last Post ceremony does lose something g being on the ramparts but it is what it is and still attracted a huge crowd.

?? Have I missed something? (forgive me my ignorance if the whole world knows why..) :D

I believe the Menin Gate is undergoing restoration work, so is OOB at moment.

Started on Monday 17 April this year. When we were there last week you could still drive through it from Menin direction.  No pedestrian access.

Thanks for the info! 

Just looking at booking for November (8-13)  this year - reckon it should be an experience to be there on November 11th!! 

Sorry, so just to clarify, there is NO pedestrian access to the Menin Gate and that this could possibly continue for 2 years? Does this include the external panels?