Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with identifying a WW1 Foreign Medal

AC00

Have just come into possession of the attached medal. I have carried out some research, however not having any luck. I believe the medal to be French, the interesting part is the dates. the medal is from 11/11/1918 to 26/06/1919,. I do know that the Treaty of Versailles ]was signed on the 26th June 1919. If anyone could help to identify would be appreciated

1100150497.jpg

1100150498.jpg

Hello Acoo & Jan,

This is a Belgian association medal (=non official) of the Nationale Vereniging der Vrijwilligers Leger te Velde/ Association Nationale des Volontaires Armeé de Campagne. This assiociation has awarded three medals.

-The first model was meant for volunteers till the armistice, frontside of medal shows ANV-VVV.

-Second model was meant for volunteers who engaged the army between 11/11/1918 and 28/06/1919. As you know, the First World War ended officially with the Versailles Treaty. The frontside of medal shows abbreviations VA- WV , which means Volontaires de l' Armistice-- Wapenstilstand Vrijwilligers. So dear ACOO, your medal is the second model. Would you mind to show a pic of the box, please. The backside of medal is the same as the first model. Both medals existed with gold, silver or bronze palms, this has something to do with years of service in the assiciation.

I attach some docs of my files about this medal where you see the third model. I have no idea why the third model was awarded. Belgium is a jungle of non-official medals, there are very few cataloques. That's why it's difficult to find information, I'm afraid. You know every medal was awarded with an acompanying document. I attache the docs of the first two models, it seems the man got the two models. (?)

Hope this info helps,

Jef

ANV_NVV.jpg

vrijwikkiger2.jpeg

wapenstilst vrijw..jpg

Hi Jef

wow was not expecting this amount of inf, thanks very much

Allan

Hi Jef

Could you recommend a decent reference books for Belgium awards as I have a few medals now

Allan

Hello Allan, As far as I'm concerned the book :" Distictions Honorifiques de la Belgique" written by André Charles Borné is the best. Unfortunately it is written in French language and sold out, But now and then you can buy a secondhend one. Remark: this is only for official medals. As told in my previous message, there are no catalogues of not official medals. Since corona I have been concentrating my documentation about non official medals and made a catalogue myself, It is not published, for it will never complete. If you have questions, you always can ask. Again, non official medals are difficult and I don't have all the info. I'm collecting about 45 years now and now and then I see medals I never saw before. ...

A good website for Belgian official medals is: https://hmc2.pagesperso-orange.fr/en/hmc.html  .

I attach a page from my files non official medals, the medal you showed in your first message. Sorry, written in dutch.

NVV-ANV dl1.jpg

By the way Allan, would like to see a pic of the blue box. Maybe there is a name of a manufacturer (?) 

I would add the info to my files.

Jef

18 hours ago, AC00 said:

hi I will get a picture of the box to you shortly

Allan

OK ,Thank you.

Jef

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Allan. I was hoping to see a manufacturer on the box. Never mind.

Jef