Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KD Jacket of Major Howard, Henry Molyneux Paget, Earl of Suffolk and Berkshire who died 21/4/17.

grantsmil

This British khaki drill officer's jacket was worn by Major Howard, the 19th Earl of Suffolk and 12th Earl of Berkshire, of the Royal Field Artillery.  He was killed on April 21st 1917 during the advance on Baghdad.
The jacket conforms the the accepted pattern of an officer's jacket. It has four external patched pockets and one internal fob pocket in the left chest for a pocket watch. The buttons are an early 'ball' shape while the pocket buttons are a latter flatter domed pattern.

Jacket KD Officer Major Paget Howard (2) small.jpg

Jacket KD Officer Major Paget Howard (32).JPG

Jacket KD Officer Major Paget Howard (34).JPG

Jacket KD Officer Major Paget Howard (36).JPG

56159585_1452947906.jpg

They are very fine images, thank you for posting them.  The jacket is of a style introduced between 1911 and 1912 and promulgated formally in a 1913 amendment to the Dress Regulations for officers of the British Army that was published in 1911.  As well as khaki drill, the same design was used for the modified version of 1902 drab [brownish khaki] serge service dress, plus the ‘Type B’ version of the blue serge jacket (aka blue patrols), introduced at the same time.  As well as the breast pockets and bellows expansion pockets set onto the skirt, common features are the stepped, open rever collar for wear with shirt and tie and the reinforcing waist band that was designed to reduce wear and tear from the Sam Browne belt.

NB.  The ball buttons down the front suggest that your protagonist had previously served with a Royal Horse Artillery unit, or perhaps one of the RFA units that had previously in its history been RHA.  I think this latter sometimes occurred with auxiliary units especially.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are very fine images, thank you for posting them.  The jacket is of a style introduced between 1911 and 12 and published formally in a 1913 amendment to the Dress Regulations for officers of the British Army of 1911.  As well as khaki drill the same design was used for the modified version of 1902 drab serge service dress.

Thank you FROGSMILE.  I find the KD uniforms are interesting, I have seen images of many variations.   I have one styled after the 1902 pattern serge jacket, dated 1917, with shorts and it may have been been made in India.  It is also badged to  the RFA.

7 minutes ago, grantsmil said:

Thank you FROGSMILE.  I find the KD uniforms are interesting, I have seen images of many variations.   I have one styled after the 1902 pattern serge jacket, dated 1917, with shorts and it may have been been made in India.  It is also badged to  the RFA.

Yes I understand your interest.  I have found that of all uniforms khaki drill has some of the greatest variations, especially for other ranks.  This was because as well as separate British and Indian clothing department patterns there were also those ordered individually by unit commanding officers, as well as variations purchased by soldiers in regimental bazaars (‘Dirzi’ tailors) for use as best, walking-out-dress uniform.  Officers were a little more constrained due to dress regulations with which they were expected to conform, but there were still variations.  The open collar began as a fad favoured by the Foot Guards and General Officers, but quickly spread and was finally formalised, after the event, as explained above.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Imagine this is the family who owned Charlton Park in Wiltshire? It’s been a while since I went up there but I seem to recall he’s on the village war memorial. 

edit, yes it’s him. 

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/631607/henry-molyneux-paget-howard/