Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A humorous response from disgruntled and frustrated soldier.

Glengarry1950

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This letter was sent to me by my old boss Ian, we served together first as Platoon Sergeant and Pl Commander, then CSM and OC, then SF's NI, it was by chance in the old Victorian War Forms in the 1990's were I put up an article about my Great Grandfather serving in the Seaforth Highlanders in the 1880's in India, that Ian saw it, and contacted me his GGF also served in the Seaforth Highlanders at the same time he was older and a sergeant, both would go on and leave in 1890ish and as fait would have it work in Livingstone Scotland as shale miners, they must have known each other, and join the RE in WW1 my GGF 183 Tunnelling Company and Ian's GGF son in RE, after being wounded he ended up in RE Records, this letter was discovered in his files only a few weeks ago, I thought that it should be shared to illustrate that humour to the powers at be is the best response and memorable.

Sapper Tom Skatt.pdf

Edited by Glengarry1950

Haha. That was excellent. Thank you. 

And it just goes to show how difficult it can sometimes be to identify men from the records.

David.

Good man, it made me laugh. I can understand his frustrations though. St Mary's Barracks was an old casemated Napoleonic War barracks built between 1779 and 1782 , by the prisoners themselfs and sat at the rear of Brompton Barracks in Chatham . it was quite a bad place to be be billeted in.  It was variously used by the RN and RE. It was  demolished in the early 1960's.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thanks for this letter, it uplifted my otherwise stressful and all round crappy day. Nice to end the day with a chuckle and huge smile. Thank you again.