Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mary Elizabeth Thomas - V.A.D help please?

brett361975

Good afternoon all.

I am trying to carry out some research into a V.A.D nurse namely Mary Elizabeth Thomas.  She served at number 3 General hospital.

The address given on her V.A.D card  is Westfields, Haroldstone Street Issells. Pembroke

Service from 10th April 1916 as a nurse  aged 22 so born 1894 ? 

10.4.16 to 9.9.17 3rd Western General, Neath 1.12.17 to 29.3.19 Military Hospital, Egypt 

Commission Cardiganshire / 2

I have been unsuccessful in finding any other information about her.  I cannot find any marriage or even addresses. Is anyone able to help me out and see if they are able to find out what happened to Mary after the war ?

I would be very grateful. Completely at a loss finding a start point ! 

Thank you in adavance for your time 

Kindest regards

Brett 

Hi Brett.

The reason I think you are having difficulty in locating the address is because I think it maybe Westfield, Haroldston, St Issells, Pembrokeshire but I am having a hard time trying confirm whether Westfield is a house etc. Looking at St Issells on the 1921 Census there is no Westfield. 

Hope this is of some use.

Gunner 87.

Edited by Gunner 87

Thank you Gunner, I wonder if the Westfield is just a house name then. 

back to the drawing board ! Thanks again gunner, really appreciate you having a look for me

kindest regards

Brett 

There was a house 'Westfield' in Haroldston.

It's not marked on Google maps but it's on the Pembroke road South from Merlin's Bridge.

Depending on the zoom level it's on the east side on the slight kink in the road just south of 'Woodbine'.

Modern Satelitte view shows a group of agricultural buildings and a horsey training area, my interpretation of what I see!

TEW

Mary Ann Reynolds is the head of house in 1911.

TEW

17 minutes ago, TEW said:

Mary Ann Reynolds is the head of house in 1911.

TEW

Thanks TEW much appreciated. Is Mary Elizabeth Thompson on the 1911 at that address ? Sorry I don’t have access to the records at the moment. Thank you 

No is the short answer.

No MET in Haroldston in 1911.

There is a possible in Haverfordwest, birth year given as 1892 which could be a year out of course. Birth shown as Aberdare.

TEW

1 hour ago, brett361975 said:

Thanks TEW much appreciated. Is Mary Elizabeth Thompson on the 1911 at that address ? Sorry I don’t have access to the records at the moment. Thank you 

Brett. I did wonder if Mary Elizabeth Thomas lived in Neath after the war which is where her first hospital was. There are two of that name in Neath, born 1894. If you think that is a possibility then I can post or send you the details.

5 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Brett. I did wonder if Mary Elizabeth Thomas lived in Neath after the war which is where her first hospital was. There are two of that name in Neath, born 1894. If you think that is a possibility then I can post or send you the details.

Gunner if you could that would be great, thank you very much 

2 minutes ago, brett361975 said:

Gunner if you could that would be great, thank you very much 

61 Bowen Street, Neath

Courtesy of Find My Past

D00895F9-65EE-49E7-A9E0-C6DD7E2A40E7_4_5005_c.jpeg

2, Party Fack, Port Talbot, Margam, Glamorganshire, Wales which is also District of Neath

851398AA-0E4B-4CD1-A58F-1CFBFE4353C0.jpeg

Thank you very much gunner. Really appreciate your help.  Gives me something to work with. Thanks again 

kindest regards 

brett 

50 minutes ago, brett361975 said:

Thank you very much gunner. Really appreciate your help.  Gives me something to work with. Thanks again 

kindest regards 

brett 

Brett, incase you didn't have the Medal Roll for MET I have attached it. Regards Gunner 87

THOMAS Mary Elizabeth Victory Medal and British War Medal Roll.jpg

I have found West Field, Haverfordwest, Haroldston, St Issells and MET is not show as resting in 1911 or 1921and in both census a different daily name os the occupier in both. 

5DF3CDE2-6215-470A-98A7-FC7931228C80_4_5005_c.jpeg

Brett, there are many possibilities but this caught my eye as despite the year of birth being out, 1897, instead of 1894, which could be an error in the VAD records, this MET was married in St Issells in 1935. She also lived at 2 Free Gardeners Hall, Kilgetty, St Issells and had done so since at least 1929 according to the Pembrokeshire, Wales, Electoral Register. 

1495CC48-6380-471A-AA17-7DBAA9E33D1E.jpeg