Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 3/1859 Michael McCullen KOYLI

Peter Bennett

Can anyone please explain what the written comments mean against this man's name on the Medal Award Roll. Also, did he serve in both the 2nd and 8th battalions ?

Thank you

McCullen Medal Roll 2.jpg

• Admin

The written comments on the Roll to which you refer actually refer to the next man on the Roll - James Crampton. The person who added those comments to the Roll has mistakenly/inadvertently written them alongside McCullen's entry.

If you look at the MIC for James Crampton you will see the same (Officers) Medal Roll reference (NW/5/7250). This comment has been made because Crampton had been discharged to a Commission in the York & Lancaster Regiment and so the issue of his Medals was being correctly administered by the Y&Ls, which is the reason for the comment.

As to your second question, Michael McCullen did indeed serve (at least) with both 2nd and 8th Battalions of the KOYLI - and in that order.

Regards

Russ

He served pre-war in the 2nd Battalion from 1893 to 1905 and then a further four years as a reservist. Upon re-enlistment in 1914, would he have rejoined his former battalion or would he have been posted straight into the 8th ?

McCullen 3+3.jpg

• Admin
13 hours ago, Peter Bennett said:

He served pre-war in the 2nd Battalion from 1893 to 1905 and then a further four years as a reservist. Upon re-enlistment in 1914, would he have rejoined his former battalion or would he have been posted straight into the 8th ?

He had previously enlisted into the KOYLI in January 1893 (service number 4121) and had completed his optional 4 years service in the Section D Reserve in 1909 and hence served 16 years in total.

In the 1911 Census he is living with his wife and children in Dewsbury and he is recorded as being a mason and labourer.

Upon the outbreak of the war in 1914 he evidently decided to re-enlist in his old Regiment and joined the Special Reserve (3rd Battalion) KOYLI. He was allotted a new number of 3/1859, which equates to him joining in late August 1914. Being an experienced ex professional soldier he was sent to France on 04/12/1914 (as per his MIC & Medal Roll). As I mentioned in my previous post but seemingly unclear, he first served overseas with the 2nd Battalion KOYLI. He was later posted to the 8th Battalion KOYLI possibly after recovering from wounds or sickness whilst with the 2nd Battalion. The 8th Battalion did not deploy to France until August 1915 so he self-evidently did not join them first given that his date of entry to France was 04/12/1914 and as I mentioned in my previous post given the order of the Battalions recorded on his BWM/VM Medal Roll.

Reservists and Special Reservists were being sent as much-needed reinforcements early in the war to the Regular Battalions fighting in France. The 1st Battalion did not deploy to France until January 1915 whereas the 2nd Battalion had deployed with the 5th Division in mid August 1914. So being sent to the 2nd Battalion KOYLI was really the only viable option - his deployment to them had nothing to do whatsoever with the 2/Bn being his "former Battalion".

The 2/KOYLI War Diary notes that a draft of 3 Officers and 66 Other Ranks joined them on 06/12/1914 - I would conclude he was in that draft.

Regards

Russ