Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7/8th R Innis Fus

widwick

My wife's grandfather was a pre war regular soldier serving in the 1st Bn in the Boer War, Crete, Malta and China. Returning to Ireland in 1912 he served on the staff of the 4th Bn.

He was: 6444 WO 2 (Instructor of Musketry) W Wilson.

He was wounded and died of wounds 'received in action' (see below) the same day on 16th September 1918 while serving as a CSM with the 7/8th Bn Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. I think his injuries may have been a training accident cos the 7/8th Bn was in reserve in training on that day.

He has no Medal Index Card (although a Pal said he had seen it last year and promised a copy, - but it never materialised) its not on line. No soldiers papers survive either.

I have found an entry in 'The Roll of Honour' which states he went to France on 14 April 1916.

Is there any way I can discover which battalion he joined when he first went to France? (Some years ago I managed a trip to Kew and went through all the Medal Rolls to find him - I did but it just mentions the 7/8th Bn).

Tony

Hello Tony,

Don't know if it is much help, but there is an entry for your man in Ireland's Memorial Records. It reads;

Wilson, William. Reg. No. 6444. Rank Company Sergeant Major, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 7/8th battalion. Died of Wounds, France, September 16th, 1918. Born Ballymena, Co. Antrim.

Send me your email address by PM and I'll send you on a copy of the entry. I also suggest you contact Desmond 7 who has done a mountain of research work on the men from Ballymena.

Regards,

Liam.

6444 CSM William Wilson features in Thompson's book Ballymoney Heroes. He was born in Drumcon, a townland near Rasharkin, Co. Antrim, enlisted in Glasgow and lived in Enniskillen. He was the son of John Wilson and husband of Jeannie Wilson, Henry St, Enniskillen. He is commemorated in Rasharkin Presbyterian Church and is mentioned in the Congregational Roll Of Honour.

The battalion were apparently training at Westoutre on the day William died of wounds - he had been taken to Hazebrouck Hospital prior to his death. His two sons emigrated to Canada and one was killed in WW2- Pte Wm. Wilson, killed 4/9/44 and buried in Ancona War Cemetery.

Regards

Carninyj

post-3682-1112894873.jpg

Cor .. that was quick!!

Des

Can we claim him? Given the IMR document?

Thank you very much for the replies and photographs. I do have the Ballymoney Heroes - one of the acknowledged helpers in the book is related to my wife. We also have a photo from a locket taken shortly after the Boer War.

My question is whether any of the Pals Inniskilling experts could give a view on which battalion he might have been in when he went to France.

I guess it must have been the 7th or the 8th or am I wrong?

Its amazing what we have managed to put together (3 years ago my wife didn't even know which Regiment he had served in) even without a MIC or service papers.

A great help in the time line were the birth (and one death of his children) certificates - wife's mother in Malta, son in China, son in Inniskilling and son in Lisnagauer. Interesting that his own son, reporting his mothers death in 1972, described her as widow of a private in the army. (Not any reflection on the rank but an insight into the lack of knowlege of his son).

The other sons service records were obtained from Canada - What a Service! Marvellous - I have his In Memoriam card and have posted a picture of him against his entry in the Canadian on line War Memorial website.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit - but wanted to encourage others who have struggled without an MIC and soldiers records. My wife and I think we have brought her grandfather back into vision.

Best wishes

Tony