Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John James Harrower Ferguson MC RAMC

CraigD

I'm researching a series of poems written under the pseudonym Zem Zem who was the MO for the 9th Seaforths between January-October 1916.

I believe this was Captain JJH Ferguson but the 9th Seaforths war diary doesn't list the MO by name in the monthly establishment. I known he was in the 138th Field Ambulance in 1918 when he won an MC and bar, as he is listed in the 138th diary, but don't know his movements between December 1915 when he first went to France and March 1918 when he was with 138th FA in Italy.

Is there any way to find out his movements in 1916 & 1917 in order to verify that he was attached to 9th Seaforths?

The link below is to the first of a series of blogs I'm writing about the Zem Zem poems for the Highlanders Museum at Fort George, Inverness

To Scotland in Flanders – Poem from the Archive | The Highlanders' Museum (thehighlandersmuseum.com)

Craig,

Welcome to the forum.

The Edinburgh University Roll of Honour has the following, which may help;-

Brechin High School. MB, ChB 1906. President, S.R.C. RAMC, Lieutenant June 1915; Captain June 1916. France, 9th Division; first Somme, Arras, Nieuport, Ypres; Italy, 4 1st Division, 1917-18; Somme March to April 1918; Ypres to October 1918. M.C. and Bar May 1918.

It looks like he was always with the 9th Division in France, until he went to Italy.

This shows other battalions and units in 9 Division.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/9th-scottish-division/

He may be mentioned in their war diaries.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf. The only RAMC officer mentioned in the 9th Seaforths diary was a Lt R.A.Jackson who joined them in March 1916. The Adjutant was good at noting the names of the Chaplains but not the MO's as that's the only mention in the whole diary of an RAMC officer and it's not my man! Craig